mysql wont start in xampp control panel

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

mysql wont start in xampp control panel

Postby dexter_J » 26. February 2015 18:40

I am currently running xampp but the mysql wont start. I recently installed a mysql community server v5.5 other than the one already present in the xampp. In xampp the port for mysql is the usual 3306 and the other mysql has 3307 port (that i changed while installing).
The status of mysql doesn't change to 'running', it just shows that its attempting, like:

22:28:58 [mysql] Attempting to start MySQL service...
23:02:37 [mysql] Attempting to start MySQL service...
23:04:21 [mysql] Attempting to start MySQL service...
dexter_J

Operating System: Win 8

Re: mysql wont start in xampp control panel

Postby mark.mcdonald » 13. March 2015 17:15

Why do you have 2 servers running (Why do you need 2)?
Good chance your personal Community server v5.5 is running as a service with a name like mysqld.exe while XAMPP's is trying to start the same process with mysqld.exe. Regardless of port the program name may already be taken and XAMPP MySQL may not start due to another instance of MySQL already running (again questioning the need for 2 servers and wasting hardware resources). Try stopping your instance of Community Server and see if XAMPP's will start. If this works now try starting Community Server and see if it fails to start. If so then the reason is because of trying to start the same process and fighting for the name space (not port).
*With XAMPP it has the ability to use multiple databases and tables to be linked with multiple websites test.com, person.test.com
*If you need a backup, create a service to back it up onto an external hard drive.
Don't know your intentions but this should resolve your problem. Stop using community server alone and let XAMPP do all the dirty work for you.
mark.mcdonald

Operating System: Windows Server 2012 R2

Return to XAMPP for Windows