how do you get this xampp thing-a-ma-jig going?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

how do you get this xampp thing-a-ma-jig going?

Postby RJScout » 06. February 2015 01:28

Hello .. I'm back.. got xampp onto my PC.. it even congratulated me...
then I found this ...

""""You are not running with administrator rights! This will work for
4:55:39 PM [main] most application stuff but whenever you do something with services
4:55:39 PM [main] there will be a security dialogue or things will break! So think
4:55:39 PM [main] about running this application with administrator rights!""""

XAMPP Installation Directory: "c:\xampp\"
4:55:39 PM [main] Checking for prerequisites
4:55:39 PM [main] All prerequisites found
4:55:39 PM [main] Initializing Modules

Initializing Control Panel
4:55:39 PM [main] Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
4:55:39 PM [main] XAMPP Version: 1.8.1
4:55:39 PM [main] Control Panel Version: 3.1.0 3.1.0 [ Compiled: September 20th 2012 ]

It wont let me create a database... ?

I managed to upload WP ver 4.1 leates to the htdocs folder .. not working
can anyone help?

if some one wants to call me that would be wonderful 719 306 3159

thanks
RJScout

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: how do you get this xampp thing-a-ma-jig going?

Postby Nobbie » 06. February 2015 14:36

RJScout wrote:if some one wants to call me that would be wonderful 719 306 3159

Funny, you may call me instead in germany, how about that?

You have to run phpmyadmin (find it on the left menu in the Xampp Screen) or simply click http://localhost/phpmyadmin

There you can create databases as you need.

If Wordpress asks for a userid and password (for mysql), enter "root" for the user and leave the password empty. The MySQL Server is "localhost" (or 127.0.0.1 as well).
Nobbie

Postby RJScout » 08. February 2015 02:43

Germany... wow.. did not realize but thank you for the reply..

OK here is my issue

I will change the userID and password.. I thought that I would create new names ID and PW but I guess that will not work.. so I will do as you suggested to see what happens... I'll keep you posted..
thanks again..
Ralph
RJScout

Postby RJScout » 06. March 2015 03:41

Hello...

Does this Xampp really work or is this software some kind of trick...
I have downloaded and deleted the latest version of Xampp several times now.. I have also my established a database and It is listed on on my local host.. http://localhost/phpmyadmin/
I have downloaded the latest version of Wordpress 4.1.1 and I believe its installed in the correct Xampp / htdocs folder....and yet when I go to the http://localhost/rjramwp I do receive the WORDPRESS set up page...
except for the fact that it was not able to establish a database connection..bummer! even though I followed all the instructions explicitly still no show...

The problem I have found is that if you do not use a password... then leave the password field blank... you see... I have found that the simplest of details does make a difference...

for a while the word "password" was in plane view never thinking to remove it .... then I removed the word "password" and left the field blank... and guess what.. I now have XAMPP installed on my local PC box... no more tears, no more late night crying and feeling sorry for myself ..no more bashed in knuckles from pounding the walls with frustration... VIOLA my friend... it does work... I did it and now I am happy... Just thought the crew here would like to know that... I have been wanting to have Xampp / wordpress installed for many months now so that I can test and create... and finally..I got it.. Hope this helps! I know others have similar frustrations.. I'm here to say that there is a dim light at the end of the tunnel...
RJScout

Return to XAMPP for Windows