Basic Terms

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Basic Terms

Postby Mr Bob » 28. January 2015 00:57

I have recorded a lot of metadata from a photograph collection using Adobe Bridge. I want to use this metadata information in a database so I can search these photographs.
I have been looking for tutorials to aid me in this and so far everything I have found is either off subject or so jargon ridden that I can make no progress with it.
So, can metadata recorded in Adobe Bridge be imported into XAMPP? And is there a tutorial for the rank amateur?
Thank you very much.
Mr. Bob
Mr Bob

Operating System: Mac os 10.5.8

Re: Basic Terms

Postby Nobbie » 28. January 2015 15:29

Mr Bob wrote:So, can metadata recorded in Adobe Bridge be imported into XAMPP?

Yes, probably.

Mr Bob wrote:And is there a tutorial for the rank amateur?

Not really. You will definately need a long time and a full education about programming HTML, PHP, CGI, MySQL etc.

It is kind of asking for a tutorial on how to build a Plasma TV from Scratch for beginners....
Nobbie

Postby Mr Bob » 02. February 2015 01:25

Right; that was the answer I was afraid I was going to get. Frankly I am hoping to find some kind of a database program that will allow me to do the above without having to go to college first. It's not that I mind doing the learning, and from what I can figure out it looks like XAMPP is a very powerful program, I guess I'll just have to slog along until I find something closer to my educational level.
Anyway, thank you very much for the news sad though it is.
Mr Bob
P. S. If anybody knows of a good plug-and-play database program for photographs and news articles……
Mr Bob

Operating System: Mac os 10.5.8

Postby Nobbie » 02. February 2015 16:15

Mr Bob wrote:and from what I can figure out it looks like XAMPP is a very powerful program

Still not really.

XAMPP is not a program, XAMPP is a collection of different (highly sophisticated) software tools (Apache Webserver, MySQL SQL Database, PHP Interpreter, Perl Interpreter) and XAMPP is simply an abbreveation, where the first letter X is meant for "suited for all Operating Systems", so we have X, we have Apache, MySQL, PHP, Perl or (only the first letters) X A M P P.

Such collections are also called "distributions", like Linux Distributions (for example Debian or SuSE, but Linux is of course superior to Xampp). XAMPP is meant for learning software development for WWW, how to design, create and build full funcional online sites, including a powerfull SQL Database (MySQL). And thats the reason, why you cannot simply "learn" Xampp. You have to learn about Apache, about PHP, about MySQL and how these tools all are working together.

The goal of Xampp is, to give a handy installation for software amateurs, because it is already quite difficult for most people, to install Apache, MySQL, PHP and Perl on themselve and make these things work together. Each tool is developed by a different community.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for macOS