How to UPGRADE Xampp to the newest version? | Please help

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

How to UPGRADE Xampp to the newest version? | Please help

Postby TripleEYE » 01. December 2014 18:43

This might seem like a silly question but by golly I've tried and tried for a whole week and no results. I don't know if it's something wrong with my google queries, or too much "Install Xampp" clutter in my search results (instead of Upgrade Xampp) - But I just can't find a solution that works on my server.

I've got Ubuntu Server 12.04.3 LTS (Terminal only), and on it phpstatus = 5.4.7
And
Code: Select all
sudo /opt/lampp/lampp status
= 1.8.1
(By the way, does that mean that Xampp version is 5.4.7 ? or 1.8.1? Is Xampp version the same as PHP version or not?)

Anyway, I want to upgrade said Xampp (Lampp...) to the latest version, which according to your site apachefriends is version 5.6.3

I've tried the following two sets of instructions (which strangely enough are the ONLY ones I managed to find online) to no avail. After using either apt-get or the bitnami GUI (via SSH with PuTTy + Xming) - the command phpstatus still outputs 5.4.7

I've even tried both methods under the actual root user on the device. No success there either.

After reading the FAQ on apachefriends I thought that in order to upgrade, all I need to do is install Xampp in it's newest version right over the old Xampp installation. But maybe it's not the case?

Please - I need some help here. How do I upgrade my Xampp and why isn't it working with the methods I've tried?

Here are the two methods I've tried. Copied directly as I found them online:

First method (PPA), a while after trying it, Rinzwind@AskUbuntu pointed out that this method is no longer relevant since they're not updated at all.
Ensure the XAAMP repository is added:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:upubuntu-com/xampp
Then update with:

sudo apt-get update

That was one method, here's the other I tried (from right here at apachefriends):

How do I install XAMPP?
Choose your flavor for your linux OS, the 32-bit or 64-bit version.

Change the permissions to the installer

chmod 755 xampp-linux-*-installer.run

Run the installer

sudo ./xampp-linux-*-installer.run

That's all. XAMPP is now installed below the /opt/lampp directory.

I obviously took care to replase the asterix (*) with the version to fill in the actual filename.

I've also been told that I will "also need to do the post install alterations. Change your PATH variable to the new download and execute the daemon. Like I did the 1st time", but I truly don't remember which paths they talked about or if I really changed such paths the 1st time I installed Xampp. I remember changing some info in some config files (And I do have a record of what changes I made), but there were no paths in there, just config files having to do with permissions or something of the sort.

The phpstatus still shows 5.4.7 ...
What could I be missing?
Plz help.
TripleEYE

Operating System: Ubuntu Server 12.04.3 LTS

Re: How to UPGRADE Xampp to the newest version? | Please hel

Postby Nobbie » 01. December 2014 21:10

TripleEYE wrote:After reading the FAQ on apachefriends I thought that in order to upgrade, all I need to do is install Xampp in it's newest version right over the old Xampp installation. But maybe it's not the case?

No, its not the case, as you overwrite all configuration files and at least all the MySQL data. If you do so, your installation is screwed up.

TripleEYE wrote:Please - I need some help here. How do I upgrade my Xampp and why isn't it working with the methods I've tried?

Due to the fact that there are several configuration files, databases etc. pp., THERE IS NO SIMPLE UPGRADE. It is a very sophisticated task to upgrade Xampp.

But, as Xampp is ONLY MENTIONED as an local development environment, a need for an upgrade is not very often. Because it is only a test environment, and in test environments you may simple delete everything and install from scratch. If you use Xampp for Online Servers (what is not recommended), you are running into many problems, one of them the missing ability of an easy upgrade. Thats it. It is at it is.
Nobbie

Postby TripleEYE » 02. December 2014 16:19

I use it in a test server. Do I really need to reinstall the whole server just to upgrade Xampp?
TripleEYE

Postby Nobbie » 02. December 2014 19:43

TripleEYE wrote:Do I really need to reinstall the whole server just to upgrade Xampp?

No, you dont need to reinstall "the whole server" (whatever you mean by this), you need to reinstall the whole Xampp.
Nobbie

Postby TripleEYE » 07. December 2014 12:16

I guess I misunderstood then.
So how do I go about reinstalling the whole xampp then? I mean... for that I'd have to somehow uninstall the xampp version that's currently installed right?
How do I do that?
People over the internet seem to be speaking of this process as if it's so obvious but it's not. not to me at least. Some tiny thing here must be being taken for granted and it's escaping me. I must be missing something that to everyone else seems obvious.
Installing the new xampp over the old one doesn't work... so how then do I uninstall the old xampp to then re-install the new one?
Do I just delete the /opt/lampp/ folder or something?
Please bare with me. I realize these questions might seem very noobish, but I can't advance without fully understanding this...
TripleEYE

Postby TripleEYE » 08. December 2014 09:22

Update:
I think I finally understood what you meant:
I need to uninstall Xampp like so:
Removing XAMPP from Ubuntu is simple. Follow the following steps:

1. XAMPP gets itself installed in “opt/lampp” directory by default.
2. Stop the XAMPP server by typing sudo /opt/lampp/lampp stop in the Terminal (you can open the terminal by pressing Ctrl+Alt+t).
3. Now type sudo rm -rf /opt/lampp
4. Check your opt directory. The folder “lampp” would have been removed.
5. You have successfully removed XAMPP from your Ubuntu.

And then install the new version + whatever I installed after Xampp in the original Server (be it my lab environment or whichever server). Including WordPress and such other things I have on it.

If I'm wrong please correct me. If got it right please do confirm.
And thatnk you very much for your help :)
TripleEYE

Postby Nobbie » 08. December 2014 16:33

TripleEYE wrote:And then install the new version + whatever I installed after Xampp in the original Server (be it my lab environment or whichever server). Including WordPress and such other things I have on it.

Yes and no.

If you install WordPress "an such other things" also from scratch, a completely new installation, the answer is "Yes".

If you would like to keep an existing WordPress Installation "and such other things", you CANNOT simply remove everything and restore a copy of the WordPress folder - this wont work, as you will loose all MySQL Data (and WordPress stores everything in MySQL). In that case, the answer is "No" and this case is what i mentioned above, it is a quite sophisticated task to remain a working WordPress environment.

If you really need an Update of Xampp, everything beyond /opt/lampp is LOST. Keep this in mind.
Nobbie

Postby TripleEYE » 08. December 2014 18:02

Thank you. That cleared everything up for me.
And that's exactly what I'm doing.
First, yes - I indeed meant a fresh from scratch installation of WordPress (granted, an older version than the latest, but still from scratch).
Morever, I have made such an installation before where I had to backup my DataBase and then ""Reinstall"" it so to speak. So The fact that the MySQL Data will be lost is fine by me... I simply have to keep in mind that it will then require me to re-integrate it.
It's indeed a complicated process, but that's why I wrote myself a full personalized guide when I installed this lab environment server.
I was simply lacking the understanding that I have to erase the previous /opt/lampp/ folder and start over from there (including WordPress etc from scratch).

Again, thank you very much :)
This matter is solved.
TripleEYE

Postby beef » 22. December 2014 17:52

Could someone please rephrase the solution? I have this exact same question. Like the OP, I felt I must be missing something obvious even after reading lots of documentation... and unlike the OP, I do not understand what was finally determined to be the solution.

In previous versions of LAMPP/XAMPP, there were two options: an upgrader or a full installer.

The upgrader would avoid overwriting our configuration files (wherever we have secured things, changed defaults, etc.) and simply upgrade the components from one version to another; on the other hand, the full installer would simply expect there to be no LAMPP/XAMPP and would perform a fresh installation.

Am I to understand that LAMPP/XAMPP no longer offers the upgrader option? (Meaning that the new plan for upgrading is to completely uninstall, completely reinstall, and then re-integrate and re-configure everything I had done before? And that must all be re-done even for a minor point release or bug fix?)

Also, am I to understand that LAMPP/XAMPP is no longer usable in production, even when properly configured? (Seems that can't be the case, or what good would it be? Who wants the surprises and frustration that arise from mismatched development and production environments, right?) To me, LAMPP/XAMPP is not only for someone who is so lazy and short-sighted that they want a quick dev box. It is also for those of us who want a predictable set of components that are all known to work with each other, and are configured with all the right paths to each other, etc., for predictable maintenance of that whole set of components from development to QA and finally to production. At least, that's how I've been using it successfully for nearly a decade.

I always want production stacks to be identical to development stacks. Of course, I have previously gone to the trouble of locking things down and setting up appropriate log levels, etc.

It seems to me that if LAMPP/XAMPP is going to continue being suitable for real-world users, it must have an upgrader option. Hopefully it's still there and I just can't find it anymore.

How does everyone else deploy this? Am I "doing it wrong"? Or am I just misunderstanding what I thought was being inferred as the "upgrade" solution here? Thanks!
beef

Operating System: RHEL

Postby Nobbie » 22. December 2014 18:34

beef wrote:Am I to understand that LAMPP/XAMPP no longer offers the upgrader option?

"No longer" is not quite right - it never did actually. There once was an upgrade package from Xampp "superiorold" to "Xampp stillveryold" (at least 5 years ago), but there never has been a general procedure for upgrade.

beef wrote:Also, am I to understand that [b]LAMPP/XAMPP is no longer usable in production, even when properly configured?

Again, it never hast been usable for production, it was just vice verse: it was ALWAYS strongly recommended NOT to use in production environment, it ever only was meant for development. Thats how it is.

Everything else is your personal opinion about that, but it never has been an production environment.

beef wrote:I always want production stacks to be identical to development stacks.

In that case, Xampp definately was a wrong decision. It never has been meant as an identical stack for production and development.
Nobbie

Postby beef » 22. December 2014 19:35

Thank you for your response, Nobbie. Bad news, but thank you for clarifying. :) I thought my google-fu was getting weak, not being able to find an upgrade option anymore.

So it sounds like you're steering me to a different stack. I can look at transitioning my servers away from XAMPP over the next 2-3 months... today, though, I need to upgrade XAMPP on one particular server.

Yes, certainly, we've all seen the warnings about exposing a box to production without locking down things like default passwords, checking which apache modules are really needed, etc. Got it.

Once I've already gone to all that trouble, though, what is the best way to preserve the existing config? (since an "upgrade" option is no longer available)

Taking into account the comments from TripleEye and Nobbie, here is what I hope will work today:

1. shut down all XAMPP-related services
2. copy all my config files off to the side (httpd.conf, php.ini, my.cnf)
3. uninstall XAMPP completely
4. install a fresh copy of XAMPP
5. replace default/insecure config files with my customized ones
6. start up XAMPP
7. smile at all the new component versions working happily together; go have a nice dark beer!

Does this seem like a reasonable approach? Any better ideas, or suggestions for me?
beef

Operating System: RHEL

Postby Nobbie » 23. December 2014 12:32

beef wrote:
Does this seem like a reasonable approach? Any better ideas, or suggestions for me?

I cannot see anything about MySQL Data and neither about htdocs?? What about your applications?

The main problem is (and this wasn't a problem for TripleEye, as he uses Xampp only as a development plattform) that you will loose ALL INSTALLED applications (like Wordpress, Joomla or whatever you have). If you have any running third-party PHP software like these, you either may loose all MySQL Data OR you may try to keep the data via backup and restore. This is the most critical issue - what about the running projects? If you decide to install everything new from scratch (thats what TripleEye decided), you are done.

But if you would like to keep all PHP applications (including all MySQL Data), it may get difficult. I cannot say if it is sufficient to simply save and restore both folders htdocs and (MySQL) data, or whether you are getting troubles.

A last thought on "same development stack as production stack": this is a very holy wish. In reality, clearly nobody can have the same development environment as the production environment. I dont think, that this is really that important. Think about the CMS i mentioned above (WordPress, Joomla), think about Tapatalk etc. - all these products are developed in a certain environnment, but later on they are used to run in a bunch of production environments. At least any combination of Apache 1.x, 2.x with MySQL 3.x to 5.x with PHP 4.x or 5.x, with SMF Boards 1.x to 2.x or whatever on Linux Servers (running in several distributions) or Windows Servers and and and and - there is no identical production environment as "the only one" development environment.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Linux