FULLTEXT in MyISAM: Changing minimum word length

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

FULLTEXT in MyISAM: Changing minimum word length

Postby iskeen » 23. October 2014 14:57

Hello,
I am trying to implement a FULLTEXT search in MySQL. I have XAMPP Control Panel v3.1.0.3.1.0.

I successfully created a FULLTEXT index on an existing MyISAM file and am testing it. The results are excellent and fast, but I'm having one problem. The default minimum word length in MyISAM is 4. Since this is an art database, there are many words of three letters I would like to include in my FULLTEXT search: sea, red, man, boy, etc. Instructions in the tutorial say that the following command is used to change the minimum word length:
ft_min_word_len = 3. I found what I think is the right file to add the command, and I'd just like to confirm that I'm on the right track.

The file I found was: C:\xampp\mysql\bin\my.ini

I found the beginning of the mysqld section which starts like this:

# The MySQL server
[mysqld]
port= 3306

I have two questions:
1. Does it matter where in the mysqld section I put the word length command? It is a long section and the [mysqldump] follows it. I believe I made no changes to this file when I installed it from Apache Friends.
2. Most of my data, including this artworks table is stored using InnoDB. The default minimum word length in InnoDB is 4. My understanding is that I would have to upgrade to 5.6 to be able to use FULLTEXT with InnoDB. Is this correct?

Here is my database server info.

Server: 127.0.0.1 via TCP/IP
Software: MySQL
Software version: 5.5.27 - MySQL Community Server (GPL)
Protocol version: 10
User: root@localhost
Server charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)

I hope this is enough information for you to answer my questions. Xampp is an excellent platform and I greatly enjoy working with it.

Thanking you in advance for your assistance,

Ilene Skeen :)
"Art is the indispensible medium for the communication of a moral ideal."
--Ayn Rand
iskeen

Operating System: Windows Vista, Win 8 (2 pcs)

Re: FULLTEXT in MyISAM: Changing minimum word length

Postby Nobbie » 24. October 2014 11:31

iskeen wrote:1. Does it matter where in the mysqld section I put the word length command?

No, the order of the options does not matter (neither the order of the sections).

iskeen wrote:My understanding is that I would have to upgrade to 5.6 to be able to use FULLTEXT with InnoDB. Is this correct?

Due to http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/ ... tions.html at least MySQL 5.6.4 is required for FULLTEXT support under InnoDB. Read that link carefully for all restrictions.
Nobbie

Re: FULLTEXT in MyISAM: Changing minimum word length

Postby iskeen » 24. October 2014 14:36

Thanks, Nobbie.
"Art is the indispensible medium for the communication of a moral ideal."
--Ayn Rand
iskeen

Operating System: Windows Vista, Win 8 (2 pcs)

Return to XAMPP for Windows