MySQL Database Will Not Start OSX 10.9.3

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

MySQL Database Will Not Start OSX 10.9.3

Postby maooley » 31. August 2014 14:35

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this problem. I have seen several other people having the same problem in this forum, but I have not seen any straight answers.

I am running Mac OSX 10.9.3 and XAMPP 1.8.3-4

It did not happen before, however, now I cannot start the MySQL Database. ProFTPD and Apache are running, however, MySQL will not start. I do not get any errors. If I look at the Application Log all I see is:

"Starting MySQL Database..."

When I try to start the server the status goes from "stopped" to "starting" and after about 20 seconds goes back to "stopped."

I have not changed any permissions or made any other changes to my installation. I had this same problem last week and was able to get it started with a reboot, but now that isn't working.

Someone please help and be as detailed as possible!

Thanks,

Matt
maooley

Operating System: OSX 10.9.3

Re: MySQL Database Will Not Start OSX 10.9.3

Postby thinsoldier » 02. September 2014 23:34

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/113644/how-can-i-disable-mysql-from-starting-at-boot might be the problem
thinsoldier

Operating System: Mavericks Mac OS X

Re: MySQL Database Will Not Start OSX 10.9.3

Postby Wongadob » 17. September 2014 17:40

Did you manage to resolve this. I have been having the exact same issue myself. I had the issue last week when I first installed xampp. After nearly a day trying to resolve it I got to the point where I completely re-installed my mac OS & installed products. It worked fine for a week. Then this morning just stopped working again.

Again I have spent the whole day trying to resolve it. I have read many posts on the net with various permission changes and ensuring that any mysql processes were killed, but to no avail. Also closed down skype (as someone suggested that). I am on Mavericks 10.9.4 and xampp 1.8.3 - 5

i have managed to get an error log from Marcs-MacBook-Pro.local.err, but I could not access this file in the directory, I had to copy the file to my documents area to open it, but the error I am getting is as follows

2014-09-17 17:27:42 9377 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/var/mysql
2014-09-17 17:27:42 0 [Warning] Using unique option prefix key_buffer instead of key_buffer_size is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. Please use the full name instead.
2014-09-17 17:27:42 0 [Warning] TIMESTAMP with implicit DEFAULT value is deprecated. Please use --explicit_defaults_for_timestamp server option (see documentation for more details).
2014-09-17 17:27:42 9733 [Warning] Setting lower_case_table_names=2 because file system for /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/var/mysql/ is case insensitive
2014-09-17 17:27:42 9377 mysqld_safe mysqld from pid file /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/var/mysql/Marcs-MacBook-Pro.local.pid ended

Any ideas?
Wongadob

Operating System: Vista Home Premium / Windows 7

Return to XAMPP for macOS