A FTP server is not running or is blocked by a firewall!

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

A FTP server is not running or is blocked by a firewall!

Postby kendall7858 » 30. May 2014 03:43

Hi all:

I am new to the xampp user family and I have a problem with either an FTP server not running or a blocked server connection by a firewall resulting in an unknown security issue. Any pointers would be most welcome because I don't want to get into a developing environment and to have issues. I am a jaded MySQL refugee. Please, any information would be of use.
Thanks in advance1

Ken
kendall7858

Operating System: windows 7

Re: A FTP server is not running or is blocked by a firewall!

Postby Nobbie » 30. May 2014 13:55

kendall7858 wrote: Any pointers would be most welcome because I

Thats exactly what i thought - any pointers welcome! I do not have the slightest idea what you are doing. There is no error description, no software, no hardware, no scripts - no nothing?! What is the problem?
Nobbie

Postby kendall7858 » 30. May 2014 18:41

Hi:

I am so sorry. I am a novice. My name is Ken and I have recently been trying to configure XAMP for Windows/1.8.3/xampp-win32-1.8.3-4-VC11. I have a HP laptop and I have downloaded the software from Apache.com. I was having a problem with the security feature and I got an error message so I changed the Apache communication port from 80 to 1234. I also changed the MySQL port from 3306 to 3307. Now, I am still having problems. I am running Windows 8.1 OS 64-bit. What led me to this point is, I am getting all sorts of errors including this one: " you have a problem with either an FTP server not running or a blocked server connection by a firewall" for the FTP and the MySQL security settings. Many thanks!

Kendall
kendall7858

Postby Nobbie » 30. May 2014 21:06

kendall7858 wrote: I am getting all sorts of errors including this one: " you have a problem with either an FTP server not running or a blocked server connection by a firewall" for the FTP and the MySQL security settings. Many thanks!

What do you mean by "I am getting sorts of errors"??? Nobody get sorts of errors. Error messages are ALWAYS issued by certain products and or scripts. We still have NO idea, which software or script you are running, which gives you these error messages. It is definately impossible to help you any further, if you are not able to give a precise description of what you are doing there. Error messages dont fall from the sky or similar

P.S.: You *MUST NOT* change the port settings for Apache/MySQL. If you do so, you will NEVER succeed to install any foreign scripts (like wordpress or so). Instead you MUST find out, why Port 80 etc. are blocked and you MUST change these applications (or even stop or delete them), which are blocking these ports, as ALL these ports are standard ports for Apache and so on.
Nobbie

Postby kendall7858 » 30. May 2014 23:27

Hi Nobbie:

I am so sorry if I am ignorant, but I am. I want to use the xampp software for a course with Bill Weinman at lynda.com. I really am a novice and I will do my best to define my goals. I reinstalled the Xampp 1.8.3 [php 5.5.11] from the Apache. com website through Bitnami and I still have an FTP server either not working or blocked by my firewall. Specifically, I would like to use the Xampp software from Apache.com to practice SQL queries during the course. Everything is pretty much working. The only thing that is wrong is that in the localhost security section has four subjects and status monitored for security. The first three are fine. They read secure since I set my passwords and user name. However, the FTP server in the last row reads security status "unknown".

These XAMPP pages are no longer accessible by network for everyone SECURE
The MySQL admin user root has no longer no password SECURE
PhpMyAdmin password login is enabled. SECURE
A FTP server is not running or is blocked by a firewall! UNKNOWN

I was using My SQL from Oracle before deciding to use the Xampp software instead. The My SQL downloaded with a failed install of the OBDC connector, but I could still use it to write queries. I just starting out in all of this. The Bill Weinman lecture series offered through lynda.com is an exciting opportunity to learn SQL and understand building a database. I want to study the Excercises that go along with the lessons. However, I have to pay a bit more to have access to the excercises that go with the course. I want to make sure that the Xampp software will work okay before I spend time and money on the lectures. Please, cut me a little slack. I am not a programming genius nor do I claim to be. I just thought that Xampp looked like a good way to learn, that's all. Thank you for your kindness and patience.

Best Wishes,

Ken
kendall7858

Return to XAMPP for Windows