how does XAMPP implement the favicon

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

how does XAMPP implement the favicon

Postby shensw » 29. May 2014 05:28

Hello, guys,

new to XAMPP, just installed, and playing with under localhost(http://localhost/xampp/)
I'm just curious that how XAMPP implements "favicon"(the little icon on the top left of the browser).

I did a research online, some of the browser would load the "favicon.ico" file from the root directory of the server, or by using a
<link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="favicon.ico" /> in the header.

However, I tried to put my own .ico under "\xampp\htdocs" , it doesn't overwrite the xampp icon, and the only .ico I can find is xampp.ico under "\xampp\img"

I'm really insterested how they implement it. Thanks in advance!
shensw

Operating System: windows 7

Re: how does XAMPP implement the favicon

Postby Alex R4 » 29. May 2014 11:39

That's a very good question. I would like to know that too. When I'm using IE, it shows the XAMPP favicon. When I use Firefox, my own favicon will be displayed. Both are using the same application at localhost.
Alex R4

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby Nobbie » 29. May 2014 13:27

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

the section "How to use".

See the last line of the grid, how different browser behave. The last line explains the case, when NO link to an icon is specified in a HTML document, how the default behaviour of different browsers is. Chrome for example looks out for a "favicon.ico" in the DocumentRoot of the server. Same for Internet Explorer and Safari. Firefox and Opera have a slightly different OPTIONAL behaviour.

Read the wiki.

Xampp delivers a favicon.ico in the DocumentRoot.
Nobbie

Postby shensw » 29. May 2014 15:44

Nobbie wrote:See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

the section "How to use".

See the last line of the grid, how different browser behave. The last line explains the case, when NO link to an icon is specified in a HTML document, how the default behaviour of different browsers is. Chrome for example looks out for a "favicon.ico" in the DocumentRoot of the server. Same for Internet Explorer and Safari. Firefox and Opera have a slightly different OPTIONAL behaviour.

Read the wiki.

Xampp delivers a favicon.ico in the DocumentRoot.

Thanks for the explaination, very helpful.
I was tested in "Maxthon" first (think it uses both chrome and IE engine, not sure about that), it acted really weird in Maxthon, had to put the favicon under root directory and put a link in the html header (not sure if this is necessary), plus deleted all the cache, cookie, history, etc, then re-open the browser to make the favicon refreshed.
For Chrome, Firefox and IE 11, it just works as it should.
shensw

Operating System: windows 7

Return to XAMPP for Windows