installing xampp using portableapps.com

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

installing xampp using portableapps.com

Postby Handler » 11. April 2014 17:02

Hi!

I've been using XAMPP for a while now on my thumb drive with the help of the xampp portable app launcher. I got bored yesterday and decided to see if a new version of xampp was out there and there was!

I renamed the old xampp folder to xampp1 and installed the new version. Installed just fine!

Here's the meat of the question. How can you install this so it's not drive letter dependent? Since I use this on my thumb drive it's not guaranteed that my drive letter will be G: all the time. I could be E: or H: or anything really. Is there a workaround for something like this??

Thanks for your help!
Handler

XAMPP version: 3.2.2
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: installing xampp using portableapps.com

Postby Pictor » 17. April 2014 19:18

I found the opposite problem. Cause my XAMPP is setting EVERY single path without adding the drive letter.
And nothing is working, obviously. I'm fixing manually some main conf files but it is impossible to replace it everywhere.

And I was curious too about knowing if is it possible to install XAMPP without having to specify the drive letter.
Pictor

Operating System: Windows 8 OEM

Re: installing xampp using portableapps.com

Postby Handler » 18. April 2014 13:52

I found the issue. The native install of xampp does not use drive letters. If you use the installer it will. It took a bit of really closely looking and I found the answser!

If you go here http://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/files/XAMPP%20Windows/ you'll see the most current version at the top and subsequent below. Click on the most current release. Then you'll see all the current builds for that release, choose the most current one. So you have no drive letter either choose the .zip or .7z compressed file.

You'll have to use the start and stop batch files in the root of where you have unzipped it to. And that was my solution!
Handler

XAMPP version: 3.2.2
Operating System: Windows 10

Return to XAMPP for Windows