Can't get sites loading after installing new version.

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Can't get sites loading after installing new version.

Postby muzzman45 » 09. April 2014 01:30

I cannot get my previous sites to work with the latest version of Xampp, I think because I may have had Xampp turned on at the wrong time.

Before installing, I copied my sites from
c:\xampp\htdocs
C:\xampp\mysql\data

to a backup folder.

Once xampp was installed I moved the site folders back into the appropriate htdocs and Mysql/data folders.

When I tried to open the sites, with http://localhost/site.com I typically got the site.com going to http://localhost/site.com/wp-admin/install.php
which opened a Wordpress installation page. (odd given that WP was already installed.)

Under "User Name" it had Username User(s) already exists.

Whatever I did I could not progress past this point.

What I did try doing with a couple of sites is to edit config.php and deleted "Authentication Unique Keys and Salts."

This allowed me to get into one site, but not others.

[Yes, yes...I could reinstall xampp etc BUT doing it in a rush, I MOVED the site files across rather than copy them. I therefore no longer have the original backed up site files. )

Please - is there any way to rescue me from this mess? :(

Muzzman
Auckland
New Zealand
muzzman45

Operating System: 54bit Windows 7

Re: Can't get sites loading after installing new version.

Postby JJ_Tagy » 09. April 2014 03:06

muzzman45 wrote:...
Before installing, I copied my sites from
C:\xampp\mysql\data

Unless you are using the same MySQL version, this is a very bad idea. You run the risk of corrupting your data. Use an export method instead.
JJ_Tagy

XAMPP version: 5.5.15
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Postby muzzman45 » 09. April 2014 03:28

Thanks for that...I haven't checked to see if the SQL version is the same or not. Nevertheless, what's done is done and I now need to sort it out!
muzzman45

Postby JJ_Tagy » 09. April 2014 12:29

Actually, if you install the same version you had before, you can copy those files back and do a proper export/dump.

Unless, of course you modified your only copy of the original files...
JJ_Tagy

XAMPP version: 5.5.15
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Postby muzzman45 » 09. April 2014 21:47

[Yes, yes...I could reinstall xampp etc BUT doing it in a rush, I MOVED the site files across rather than copy them. I therefore no longer have the original backed up site files. )

Silly I know given I have been working on the net since the mid 90's and with computers since late 70's. There we are, we all stuff up sometime.

I am in the process of working out which localhost sites are essential to revive and have got that down to one or two. I will try a variety of ways to try to get them going again.
muzzman45

Return to XAMPP for Windows