Can't get XAMPP/MySQL to work with my Mac?

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Can't get XAMPP/MySQL to work with my Mac?

Postby dwarsement » 17. January 2014 19:57

Been working all day on trying to figure this out, and I just can't seem to solve my issue. I have to enable XAMPP on my MacBook for my PHP/MySQL course, and I already installed it. Once I opened it up, I enabled Apache and MySQL: they are both currently running. I moved some files that go along with my textbook into the htdocs folder of the XAMPP application. I opened up a browser, typed localhost, hit enter, works great. Added /book_apps to localhost, and voila! It opened up the directory with all of the files from the book in a nice, neat list. I tried out the first program, a simple calculator program, and it worked great. But, when I skip a few chapters and into the MySQL section, I get this error message immediately upon clicking the SQL application file:

Database Error There was an error connecting to the database.

The database must be installed as described in the appendix.

MySQL must be running as described in chapter 1.

Error message: SQLSTATE[28000] [1045] Access denied for user 'mgs_user'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

I have researched this error message a hundred times today and can't seem to find a concrete answer. I thought I was pretty close when I tried this, but then it messed things up even more because at the end when I tried to click phpadmin from localhost, it gave me an error message (didn't even ask me for my username/password.) I am at a loss here, any advice?

I'm on a Mac OS X 10.9.1, using XAMPP 1.7.2 for Mac (required this particular version for my class.)
dwarsement

Operating System: OS X

Re: Can't get XAMPP/MySQL to work with my Mac?

Postby DnvrSysEngr » 05. February 2014 23:55

I had a similar issue when I first installed XAMPP 1.8.3-2 on Mac OS X 10.9.1.

If you look at the status page in the XAMPP control panel (usually at http://localhost/xampp), is the MYSQL database Activated?

Can you log into PHPmyAdmin to administer MySQL?

You may need to run the /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/xampp security (in a terminal window) as this sounds like a permissions issue

-Scott
DnvrSysEngr

Operating System: Mac OSX 10.9.2

Return to XAMPP for macOS