htdocs in different location?

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

htdocs in different location?

Postby burger93 » 24. December 2013 13:04

Hi, on my old windows setup I used a symbolic link to store my htdocs folder in my skydive folder and still work with xampp. I've just bought a macbook and trying to accomplish the same thing but seem to be having problems. I have the htdocs folder in my skydive folder and I've tried creating an alias using mavericks and placing that in the xampp directory and creating a symbolic link using ln -s at terminal but neither work, I just get the following message in "localhost" :
"Access forbidden!

You don't have permission to access the requested directory. There is either no index document or the directory is read-protected.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 403"

I have made sure the source htdocs (in skydive folder) has read and write permissions for everyone and applied to all sub directories but that hasn't seemed to of helped. Any help is appreciated.
burger93

Operating System: Mavericks

Re: htdocs in different location?

Postby Nobbie » 24. December 2013 15:07

burger93 wrote:I have made sure the source htdocs (in skydive folder) has read and write permissions for everyone and applied to all sub directories

This is not enough. You have to grant all these permissions not only to subfolders, but to parent folder as well! Example:

Your alias points to /home/burger93/htdocs - in that case you have to grant permissions not only to /home/burger93/htdocs, but as well to /home/burger93 and finally to /home (for both at least read permission and execute permission - execute permissons are always necessary for accessing folders).
Nobbie

Postby burger93 » 24. December 2013 17:59

oh what! At the moment the skydive htdocs is under Users/Adam/Documents/Skydrive/xampp/htdocs. I changed the parents up to Documents to just test it and it works. Would it be be a bad idea to grant "everyone" read and write access to my Documents and skydive folders? (I'm guessing it does what it sounds like and anyone on the same network can access the folders? or is just for other users on the laptop?) Or is there a better/safer what of doing what I want to accomplish. Thanks.
burger93

Postby Nobbie » 25. December 2013 12:46

burger93 wrote:or is just for other users on the laptop?

It is just for users on the laptop.

burger93 wrote:Or is there a better/safer what of doing what I want to accomplish.

I dont think so.
Nobbie

Postby burger93 » 25. December 2013 16:55

ahhh well I'm the only user on the laptop so that's no problem if it's not a network thing then!! Thanks.
burger93

Return to XAMPP for macOS