Dropbox and XAMPP

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Dropbox and XAMPP

Postby geddy1001 » 11. June 2012 20:24

Hi folks,
I have looked around on this forum and though there has been discussion about this topic, I never saw a definitive yah or nay if this would work or not so I figured Id broach the topic again. Essentially Im new to the PHP/SQL world and am want learn/test using XAMPP. I travel around a bit so Id like to be able to access remotely any of the work I would have done. Is using Dropbox and XAMPP possible?, at least maybe for the document files? Just curious if anyone has it setup like this in any fashion or have had luck using XAMPP with a file storage system of any kind. Thanks!
geddy1001

Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Dropbox and XAMPP

Postby JonB » 11. June 2012 21:42

Dropbox - It has a reasonable chance of working for static documents and slim-to-zero chance of working correctly when using something MySQL database driven.

Why don't you just install the USB version on a thumbdrive?

This is my opinion only

Good luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby geddy1001 » 11. June 2012 23:15

Thank you!

Was not aware of the USB version, which is pretty cool. I was just hoping Dropbox would work for the sake of, no way I can drop and lose my Dropbox :)

Is there a "different" version for USB or would I, as the destination, download XAMPP onto the thumb drive directly? Thanks!
geddy1001

Postby JonB » 12. June 2012 03:11

I'm guessing you did not visit the XAMPP webpage

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

Look for:
XAMPP portable

Good luck.
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby geddy1001 » 12. June 2012 23:00

Thanks

I had already visited the page but just missed the "USB Lite" version. Thanks

DW
geddy1001

Postby JonB » 13. June 2012 02:20

Glad you found it

BTW, the standard versions will usually run on a thumb drive as well. I have not tried 1.7.7 personally, but I used 1.7.3 and 1.7.4 full versions with thumb drives.

Good luck with your project
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby geddy1001 » 13. June 2012 22:10

Thanks Jon!

So I guess my next question is since the Lite version doesnt have FileZilla on it, Ive downloaded that was wondering, is now the USB drive considered the "remote" server for FTP purposes? Thanks
geddy1001

Postby buzztone » 06. July 2012 07:19

JonB wrote:Dropbox - It has a reasonable chance of working for static documents and slim-to-zero chance of working correctly when using something MySQL database driven.

See wptuts Tutorial - WordPress Development and Deployment With MAMP, Git and Dropbox - http://wp.tutsplus.com/tutorials/hosting/wordpress-development-and-deployment-with-mamp-git-and-dropbox/. This tutorial explains how this can be done including the MySQL databases.
buzztone

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby JonB » 06. July 2012 14:24

I'm going to see if that setup works with XAMMP on Windows when I get an extra day or two's time.

Having read through it, I think there's a missing piece somewhere, but that may be a wrong reading. (Well, I now have read the comments and my thoughts were validated - there's no DB sync'ing between the live host & dropbox, and MOST of all - you can't run the two machines simultaneously) The last was the source of my comment about 'slim to zero'. It should work, as he pointed out, for a single developer who will be the only user of the 'dev' side. A lot of work was invested by the author, Enrico Mingardo, to make it all work and its a well-written tutorial. I'm a bit skeptical (as always :lol: ) of its portability to Windows, but we will see.

Thanks for pointing it out.
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby buzztone » 07. July 2012 05:39

I also found some more detailed info on this issue in the German area of this forum. See - move XAMPP folders to dropbox http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=50914&p=196024&hilit=dropbox#p196024

My German is not perfect but I believe they are saying it works well and only limitation is no simultaneous access of a particular database from multiple compters through Dropbox.
buzztone

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby kethy » 07. December 2013 09:09

According to my point of views if this would work or not so I figured I had broach the topic again essentially. I am new to the PHP/SQL world and am want learn/test using XAMPP. I travel around a bit I like to be able to access remotely any of the work. I would have done everything about this world. Is using Drop box and XAMPP possible? Anyone guide me about PHP/ SQL world.
kethy

Operating System: computer

Return to XAMPP for Windows