Lost All MySQL database when upgrading to 1.8.3

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Lost All MySQL database when upgrading to 1.8.3

Postby bruceaj » 01. December 2013 16:42

I just upgraded to XMAPP 1.8.3 and now none of my MySQL database show up when I start phpMyAdmin. I get a completely new setup. How can I recover my prior databases?

Of course, I do not have backup <Damm>
bruceaj

Operating System: Windows 8

Re: Lost All MySQL database when upgrading to 1.8.3

Postby Nobbie » 01. December 2013 18:21

bruceaj wrote:I just upgraded to XMAPP 1.8.3 and now none of my MySQL database show up when I start phpMyAdmin. I get a completely new setup. How can I recover my prior databases?

Proceed to the mysql folder of Xampp (usually c:/xampp/mysql) and further proceed to the data folder (i.e. c:/xampp/mysql/data). If you used MyISAM data engine, you should see some folders inside the data folder. Each folder represents a database.

Can you see any folders / databases that matches to your expectations?

bruceaj wrote:Of course, I do not have backup <Damm>

So you are the next one to learn it the painfull way...

If we dont succeed to find the databases inside your data folder, your databases "have gone"....

P.S.: As there is no "upgrade package" (neither any upgrade procedure) for upgrading Xampp, what exactly did you do? Did you de-install a previous Xampp release? Or did you simply install the new Xampp "over" the existing?
Nobbie

Postby bruceaj » 01. December 2013 20:05

I don't have to look. I deleted C:/xampp before I installed 1.8.3. When I initially tried to install, I got a message that c:/xammp (due to 1.8.1) was not empty. So, I deleted it. Next time I update I will do two things. One. backup my DB. Two, install in C:/xampp1.8.4.

I did not realize that the db were created in XAMPP root directory.

Thanks...
bruceaj

Operating System: Windows 8

Postby Nobbie » 01. December 2013 21:15

bruceaj wrote:I don't have to look. I deleted C:/xampp before I installed 1.8.3.

Ouch!

Nothing else left to say....
Nobbie

Postby hwalker1 » 09. May 2014 00:01

Would it not be possible just to re-name the current Xammp folder to old_Xammp, and then install the new version in the default Xammp folder?
All that you need to do then is to do an sql dump from one folder to the other for each database.
Or would you have to do the sql dumps first?

If you skip from a really old version like I did, you have a vertical learning curve and have to re-write just about all your web sites. I have been at it full time since last October and still have not quite finished.
Its a pity that the newer stuff is not backwards compatible. I just found that my timestamps from the old version do not work in the new one due to incompatibilities. Good job I retained my old tables and databases on a machine running the old version, so that they can be reconstructed. Another month's work to do, though I will update to this month's new version first!
It is not down to Xammp but the updated versions of PHP and MySql.
If it works don't fix it is my motto. :lol:
hwalker1

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Postby JJ_Tagy » 09. May 2014 01:21

hwalker1 wrote:...
Or would you have to do the sql dumps first?

Yes
JJ_Tagy

XAMPP version: 5.5.15
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Postby Kamil » 19. May 2014 12:12

bruceaj wrote:I did not realize that the db were created in XAMPP root directory.

Xampp is a webserver "packet". Believe me you preffer to have it installed this way. It's much easier to work with different versions of databases/php etc when they're installed in diffenerent "packet" folders rather then enigmatic C:/Program Files/Mysql
Kamil

Operating System: Win7 x64

Postby hwalker1 » 03. June 2015 03:11

And again while updating to the current (up to June 2015) version 5.68. This time I had backups and sql dumps. The backups copy across to the new HTdocs file, and the data copies across to the new mysql data file. The new PHPmyadmin does not recognize the databases to start with, and then if you switch it off and back on again it does. However, the tables are all shown in the tree but phpmyadmin says that there are no tables.Strange - so I deleted the database completely. I then tried to import the tables using the sql dumps. Did not work. If I tried to drop the table it gave an error to say there was no table to drop. If I tried to create the table, it said that the table already exists. So as far as I can see, the latest version is not suitable for use, and I am going to have to return to the old version that I had before. Problem is I cannot remember which version it was. Luckily it lives on my laptop which has not been contaminated by the new version, so I hope to retrieve some of my work.
Installation even in an empty folder will not work on a Windows 7 machine without major problems. First it has port problems, so I change the ports. It runs once, and then will not run again. Re install and the same happens. Eventually I find that the key to getting it running is the netstat button. Install it, when you get the inevitable installation error messages, just go into netstat and click the refresh button a few times. Then PHPmyadmin works, sees the tables, but is unable to read them.
hwalker1

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Postby mark.mcdonald » 03. June 2015 14:36

bruceaj wrote:I don't have to look. I deleted C:/xampp

Because this is in a Windows forum, I am hoping your operating system is a version of Windows 7. Hoping this is the case: There is a 5% chance of recovering your data. Even though your recycle bin is empty, your computer holds onto information beyond that. There are ways to obtain such things and below are a couple links I would strongly look at if the DB's had information that are that important!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/wind ... eted-files

https://www.piriform.com/recuva
mark.mcdonald

Operating System: Windows Server 2012 R2

Return to XAMPP for Windows