Using XAMPP 1.8.1 via 3G dongle. Is it possible???

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Using XAMPP 1.8.1 via 3G dongle. Is it possible???

Postby Marius80 » 11. July 2013 11:49

Hi everybody!

I'm new using xampp ... few weeks ago I ran a server (my pc) after doing portforwarding to my router Scientific Atlanta 2320 and using the no-ip DUC software.
I use this server to get data from a GSM device.

But I need to perform a project where this server can not run with router or through a LAN so I have acquired a 3G dongle to have acces to the internet. So when a try to run the server with the 3G dongle the server doesn't work and I don't know how to get acces to the ports of this dongle ...

Could somebody help me with this topic?

Thanks in advance! :)
Marius80

Operating System: Windows

Re: Using XAMPP 1.8.1 via 3G dongle. Is it possible???

Postby Nobbie » 11. July 2013 13:21

Marius80 wrote:But I need to perform a project where this server can not run with router or through a LAN so I have acquired a 3G dongle to have acces to the internet. So when a try to run the server with the 3G dongle the server doesn't work and I don't know how to get acces to the ports of this dongle ...

A 3G dongle does not have "ports" or similar, its not a router, its simply a network node like a standard ethernet card.

If you have problems to reach the Apache server running on vour Laptop (or Desktop) via 3G (you simply should enter the IP of the Xampp PC in the clients PC, where IP is the one given by the 3G Provider), then this might have one (or both) of the following reasons:

a) the Provider does not Support upload traffic on Port 80
b) the IP is not in "public" range, but in a Local Range (local ranges are 192.168.*.* and 10.*.*.* and 172.16.*.* thru 172.31.*.*). This are per TCPIP definition IPs of a local network and cannot be reached in public environment.

It is most common, that 3G providers suppress local servers via 3G by one (or both) of these actions. They simply do not want customers to run servers via 3G - because traffic is limited and expensive. If this is the case (what i believe) you cannot run Xampp via your 3G dongle, as there is no workaround.
Nobbie

Re: Using XAMPP 1.8.1 via 3G dongle. Is it possible???

Postby Marius80 » 12. July 2013 12:44

Thanks Nobbie for the quick reply.
I will search another solution to achieve this communication.

Greetings,
Marius80

Operating System: Windows

Return to XAMPP for Windows