Automatically start (Apache, mysql and FTP) on XAMPP startup

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Automatically start (Apache, mysql and FTP) on XAMPP startup

Postby yuck » 03. July 2013 15:58

Hey guys!
Is it possible to automatically start the 3 XAMPP Control modules (Apache, mysql and FTP) when starting the app on Mac OSX?
The thing is, everyday when I boot Xampp I have to click "Start", "Start" and "Start" (and insert system password) to activate the 3 modules.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Luís
Last edited by yuck on 12. July 2013 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
yuck

Operating System: OSX

Re: Automatically start (Apache, mysql and FTP) on startup

Postby yuck » 11. July 2013 14:50

Anyone? :|
yuck

Re: Automatically start (Apache, mysql and FTP) on XAMPP sta

Postby perlboy » 17. July 2013 17:08

The application that starts the servers is manager-osx.app. Unfortunately, it is not scriptable so you can't use AppleScript. That's the bad news. But the good news is you can start servers in XAMPP with a shell script. Do this:

sudo /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/xampp start

sudo will prompt for the root password and then you should see the three server start messages: Apache, MySQL and ProFTPD.

You could easily put this in your .bash_profile, which would cause them to start whenever you login to OS X. At the moment I don't see any way around manually entering that pw, so your invocation won't be silent but you can't have everything when you're dealing with external developers, right? I wonder if the devs read these posts? I think they don't. Otherwise, they'd put a stop to all the spam these forums receive.

Our dev friends at XAMPP could make the application scriptable, which would be more elegant but bash is your tool of choice otherwise. This should work in the Linux version too.

Good luck.
perlboy
perlboy

Operating System: OS X v10.8.2

Re: Automatically start (Apache, mysql and FTP) on XAMPP sta

Postby yuck » 18. July 2013 12:35

Hey Perlboy! Thanks a lot for your reply.
Yep, thats a nice idea you got there! I never made anything with the .bash_profile but i'll see if i can handle it. ;)

Probably our "dev friends" read some stuff here but it will be hard for them manage so much stuff at once. hehehe

Cheers mate,
Have a nice day!
Luís
yuck

Return to XAMPP for macOS