Migrate XAMPP from Windows to OSX

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Migrate XAMPP from Windows to OSX

Postby ericfledderman » 07. May 2013 14:04

I have a development server that is running on XAMPP on Windows. I'm attempting to setup a MacBook with an identical XAMPP setup. Is there a proper way to go about performing this migration?
ericfledderman

Operating System: OSX Mountain Lion

Re: Migrate XAMPP from Windows to OSX

Postby Nobbie » 10. May 2013 11:01

ericfledderman wrote:I have a development server that is running on XAMPP on Windows. I'm attempting to setup a MacBook with an identical XAMPP setup. Is there a proper way to go about performing this migration?

If you have not defined any VirtualHosts, neither any ALIAS, simply backup c:/xampp/htdocs (these are all youre HTML and PHP scripts), as well as c:/xampp/mysql/data (these are all Databases) and put these into the right place on OSX (the Directory Structure of Xampp in OSX differs from Xampp in Windows, but i dont have OSX, it is easer for you than for me to find out the appropriate folders).

If you have VirtualHosts and/or Alias, there is no easy way, you have to look on yourself, where the corresponding data is stored.
Nobbie

Re: Migrate XAMPP from Windows to OSX

Postby MacLion » 10. May 2013 12:59

I am glad you came to your senses to get a Mac. :D

On your Mac simply download and install Xampp for Mac.
Navigate to /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/ you will see a folder htdocs. This is the document root, where all you pages are.
There are also four items in it, favicon.ico, index.php webalizer and xampp, leave them intact and copy your all pages from your Windows Xampp document root to this directory. You might need to set the permissions of your pages.
If you have any MySql database, on the Window machine, use PHPMyAdmin to export them, then copy the data files to import them on your Mac Xampp. Of course if you have any customized configurations, you would need to redo them. You might be able to reuse the config files from your Windows installation, but it's always better to configure afresh since you are doing a fresh installation.

Hope it helps.
MacLion

Operating System: Mac Mountain Lion

Return to XAMPP for macOS