different xampp versions run together? [Solved]

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

different xampp versions run together? [Solved]

Postby tiziano » 04. April 2013 14:20

Hi, I'm quite new on this forum, in fact this is my first topic. Have an old windows xp with latest xampp version fine running on it. Lately had the chance to get access to a 10 years old database run by an older version of php where some deprecated functions are being used. So, I need to download an older xampp version in order to intervene and modify something in the php scripts. I don't want to uninstall the latest xampp version. My question now is: is possible to run on the same machine 2 different xampp versions without getting into troubles? and, if yes, how do have to organize the folders?
thks for any reply
t.
tiziano

Operating System: linux + windows

Re: different xampp versions run together?

Postby JonB » 04. April 2013 16:31

A. - Yes, you can have as many XAMPP installs on a machine as you want. You would not want to try to run them simultaneously, unless you want to engage in 'port turf wars'. So don't make Apache, MySQL or Filezilla services.

B. - As for folders, what I do is just name the folders by version - xampp173, xampp177, xampp180, etc,

Okay?
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby tiziano » 04. April 2013 18:55

Sorry, I didn't got the point of not having Apache, MySql or Filezilla services.. I just want to copy the database I'm willing to change the fuctionalities into PhpMyAdmin (on the older xampp version) and test it any time I go make any change to the php script. Of course I won't let both xampp versions run simultaneously. Is it clear what I'm trying to explain? Sorry for that.. :oops: and thanks for replying
tiziano

Postby hackattack142 » 05. April 2013 00:12

Hello,

The services are not required to run the various XAMPP modules. If the Windows Services are installed, other XAMPP versions might see them and incorrectly try to use them. You can run the various XAMPP modules standalone just fine. Not running as a service is denoted by a red 'X' under the Service column of the XAMPP Control Panel.

With no services clashing, you can start and stop the modules from each XAMPP version one at a time as needed just fine.
XAMPP Control Panel Developer
Latest CP: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932
hackattack142

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

Postby tiziano » 05. April 2013 07:09

Okay, fine. Clear enough now. Thank you both of you :D
tiziano

Return to XAMPP for Windows