Your solution worked for the initial purpose intended:
- I changed the port in the line you showed in both files you mentioned.
- I could then access the option to change the password for MySQL in Xampp Security section.
- I did change the password and it was successful.
- I closed everything: browsers, Xampp control panel, Xampp process in Windows Task Manager.
- I deleted the browsing history (except favorites) in browser (Internet Explorer 9).
- I reopened Xampp control panel (as an administrator), restarted Apache and MySQL.
- I accessed http://localhost:8080/
- I accessed phpMyAdmin login window.
But this step did not work:
- I typed my new password for root user.
- I got this message: #1045 Cannot log in to the MySQL server
- I typed no password (blank field) like I used to do and I could enter phpMyAdmin.
Why my new password is not working and the old setting is?
Thanks for your help.