Support for adding own modules in xampp-control

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Support for adding own modules in xampp-control

Postby tomascejka » 09. February 2013 08:03

If I see xampp-control.ini there are section with name of modules. It can be usefull if I could add new tool, eg. postgre.
[Autostart]
postgre=0
[BinaryNames]
postgre=path/to/postgre
... etc.

It will produce a new row in xampp-control for our example 'postgre' with buttons Start,Admin,Config,Logs.
tomascejka

Operating System: Windows

Re: Support for adding own modules in xampp-control

Postby hackattack142 » 11. February 2013 23:28

Hello,

It is something I am looking into. The major blocker right now is finding a reliable way to automatically find and track launched applications (especially multiprocess ones). The detection routines are currently hardcoded because the modules have various special cases which makes dynamic modules more difficult. The other stuff is doable if I can get that working well.
XAMPP Control Panel Developer
Latest CP: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932
hackattack142

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

Postby tomascejka » 15. February 2013 11:51

Thanks for reply.

hackattack142 wrote: to automatically find and track launched applications (especially multiprocess ones).

How to find/track launched mysql server? If I understood correctly your answer and use mysql module as example. About mysql module you know everything (bin directory contains usefull console tools) because it is part of xampp application. Is that right?

hackattack142 wrote:The detection routines are currently hardcoded because the modules have various special cases which makes dynamic modules more difficult ...

I suppose that there is a problem analyze module because module has own tools which can be used for analyzing, eg. mysql (mysql, mysqldump etc.). It that right?

So there is a question. Do you plan add postgre support into xampp application?
tomascejka

Operating System: Windows

Postby hackattack142 » 19. February 2013 23:39

Hello,

It is more complicated than that.

XAMPP is a collection of standalone applications. The control panel can launch these applications either directly or through the command line in the background. In order to get the green 'running' and ports in the CP, I need to track the PID of the launched applications and all other spawned PIDs that resulted from the original launch. Getting this information is not always reliable (sometimes there might be more than one instance of it running not related to XAMPP or the internal process info structure is not fully populated). This makes it more difficult to distinguish which process I should be tracking automatically especially if it is a multiprocess application. It is even more difficult with things like Tomcat. I launch a command prompt instance which launches Java so I am launching a process that launches other processes but I want to only track the latter and need to distinguish it from other Java processes that may be running on the system.

I am not ruling out custom modules at this point. I will probably not add another default module if it is not included in XAMPP by default.
XAMPP Control Panel Developer
Latest CP: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932
hackattack142

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

Return to XAMPP for Windows