PHPMYAdmin connection rejected by localhost server

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

PHPMYAdmin connection rejected by localhost server

Postby simonf » 15. January 2013 19:10

Hi,

I installed Xampp win32-1.8.1-VC-9 successfully about 4 weeks ago. Since then I have been playing around setting up Dreamweaver 3 testing environments on a localhost. All worked well and I wasn't having in any problems. I had set up a couple of databases using PHPMyAdmin through the Control Panel and got DW3 talking to them OK. Records were being entered and updated no problem. I was using .

One thing that had bugged my was when setting up for the first time I hadn't set a root password and I wanted to change this before I started my new project, even though I am the only one with access to this machine as it seemed the right thing to do.

Anyway, I read round a bit and the general advice was to enter it directly in to the config.inc.php. Thinking this was easily undone I went ahead, and that's when the problems started. Despite rolling back I still get the following message:
phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection. You should check the host, username and password in your configuration and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the administrator of the MySQL server.

when starting PHPMyAdmin through Control Panel V3.1.0.3.1.0 (I haven't tried any other way).

As it wasn't a problem eventually I decided to uninstall and start again. I have followed al the instruction including completely deleting the XAMPP folder, at least twice. This included a restart after each uninstall before the next install. But every time I get the same error message.

Much as I like the challenge of sorting out my own problems, its the best way to learn and I am a hacker doing some my wife and friends a favour, I am now at a loss.

I suspect its obvious but all help gratefully received as I now want to get cracking on the new website.

Thanks in advance,

Simon
simonf

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: PHPMYAdmin connection rejected by localhost server

Postby simonf » 15. January 2013 20:14

Further info...

I've just uninstalled completely and re installed on a different drive and all is OK, except PHPMyAdmin is asking for a root password again.

I'd rather not use this drive, so any thoughts on the original post still welcome.
Thanks in advance,

Simon
simonf

Operating System: Windows 7

Return to XAMPP for Windows