Install problem - wrong path

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Install problem - wrong path

Postby sdspieg » 17. November 2012 18:58

I receive these error messages - can anybody please tell me where I can find the files where I can correct the paths? Thanks

Code: Select all
6:51:33 PM  [main]    Running with Administrator rights - good!
6:51:33 PM  [main]    XAMPP Installation Directory: "d:\xampp\"
6:51:33 PM  [main]    Checking for prerequisites
6:51:35 PM  [main]    All prerequisites found
6:51:35 PM  [main]    Initializing Modules
6:51:35 PM  [mysql]    MySQL Service detected with wrong path
6:51:35 PM  [mysql]    Change XAMPP MySQL settings or
6:51:35 PM  [mysql]    Uninstall/disable the other service manually first
6:51:35 PM  [mysql]    Found Path: c:\xampp\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe --defaults-file=c:\xampp\mysql\bin\my.ini mysql
6:51:35 PM  [mysql]    Expected Path: d:\xampp\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe --defaults-file=d:\xampp\mysql\bin\my.ini mysql
6:51:35 PM  [filezilla]    FileZilla Service detected with wrong path
6:51:35 PM  [filezilla]    Change XAMPP FileZilla settings or
6:51:35 PM  [filezilla]    Uninstall/disable the other service manually first
6:51:35 PM  [filezilla]    Found Path: "c:\xampp\FileZillaFTP\FileZillaServer.exe"
6:51:35 PM  [filezilla]    Expected Path: "d:\xampp\FileZillaFTP\filezillaserver.exe"
6:51:35 PM  [Tomcat]    Tomcat Service detected with wrong path
6:51:35 PM  [Tomcat]    Change XAMPP Tomcat settings or
6:51:35 PM  [Tomcat]    Uninstall/disable the other service manually first
6:51:35 PM  [Tomcat]    Found Path: c:\xampp\tomcat\bin\tomcat7.exe //RS//Tomcat7
6:51:35 PM  [Tomcat]    Expected Path: d:\xampp\tomcat\bin\tomcat7.exe //RS//Tomcat7
sdspieg

Operating System: Windows

Re: Install problem - wrong path

Postby JJ_Tagy » 17. November 2012 19:03

Looks like you installed it twice - on C: and D:. Or you never uninstalled the old one or moved the folder?
JJ_Tagy

XAMPP version: 5.5.15
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Postby sdspieg » 17. November 2012 19:26

I removed it from C: before re-installing it on D:. But I guess some old configuration files may still be lingering around (the C:\xampp folder is gone though). That's why I asked which files might still contain the references to the old path - so that I can then change them. Any idea?
sdspieg

Postby JJ_Tagy » 17. November 2012 21:01

sdspieg wrote:
6:51:35 PM  [mysql]    Found Path: c:\xampp\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe --defaults-file=c:\xampp\mysql\bin\my.ini mysql
6:51:35 PM  [filezilla]    Found Path: "c:\xampp\FileZillaFTP\FileZillaServer.exe"
6:51:35 PM  [Tomcat]    Found Path: c:\xampp\tomcat\bin\tomcat7.exe //RS//Tomcat7

These 3 lines lead me to believe the folder is still there.
JJ_Tagy

XAMPP version: 5.5.15
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

Postby sdspieg » 18. November 2012 02:37

It really isn't though...
Isn't it possible that the 'found' refers to some line in some configuration file?
sdspieg

Postby JonB » 18. November 2012 16:50

I'd almost bet the problem is that the Control Panel code is looking for %systemdrive and then assuming its 'C:\' when it strings together the message

What version of Windows are you running?
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby hackattack142 » 21. November 2012 01:12

I suspect you did not uninstall the services from your previous XAMPP before uninstalling it. The uninstaller does not remove Windows Services if they are installed. You could check this by going to the Windows Services (Start > Run > services.msc), look for those services in the list, right-click then and select properties. If the "path to executable" is wrong, you need to manually remove these services via the command prompt before you can use the other XAMPP to install those services.

You can manually remove them by opening a command prompt (Start > Run > cmd) and typing these (3 different commands):
sc delete mysql
sc delete FileZillaServer
sc delete Tomcat7

This requires Admin privileges.
XAMPP Control Panel Developer
Latest CP: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932
hackattack142

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

Postby hwalker1 » 14. January 2013 16:46

Quote "You can manually remove them by opening a command prompt (Start > Run > cmd) and typing these (3 different commands):
sc delete mysql
sc delete FileZillaServer
sc delete Tomcat7

This requires Admin privileges.[/quote]"

I tried this and just got the following error message from the cmd window:
The filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect.
What version of windows are you suggesting this command can be used in?
I'm using win7 ultimate 64 bit. It came up with this error message the first time I ran it after installing on a new computer which had no previous version installed.
So far have not managed to get version 1.8 of Xamp to work as expected. No problems with the earlier version, which installed and ran exactly as expected in about 8 minutes from scratch - so what has changed?
hwalker1

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Postby hackattack142 » 15. January 2013 00:18

Are you pressing [enter] between each of those lines?

The sc utility works fine on my Win7 ultimate x64 as well as my WinXP machine. It should be a standard Windows program. You should be able to just type 'sc' at the command line to see if it exists. Otherwise, your PATH environment variable might not be complete/setup correctly. You can also specify the absolute path to the utility "C:\windows\system32\sc.exe"

Issues seems to arise from incomplete uninstallations because the uninstaller does not remove Windows Services or clashes from adjacent installations of other XAMPP versions. It is typically just a matter of configuring them to not intersect and making sure the Services are uninstalled before uninstalling XAMPP.

If you are trying to run two versions side-by-side, you can configure each XAMPP to use different service names so they do not clash and different ports if you want to run them simultaneously.
hackattack142

Postby hwalker1 » 15. January 2013 02:13

I must learn to read. Missed the sc from the command. All services uninstalled and the control panel re-started. There was a red cross against the MySQL service, but it was running. So I stopped it using the stop button and clicked the red cross. It turned green and next time I started the panel, the error message had gone. That problem solved. Thanks a lot.
It would be helpful if there was some explanation of the crosses and ticks in the panel. The service can be running and still have a red cross. Now I know - just by accident.
hwalker1

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Postby hackattack142 » 16. January 2013 00:37

In short, if it is checked, the application is installed and registered as a Windows Service (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_service). If it is a red 'X', it just runs like a normal application. You can run all of the modules as normal applications and everything will work fine.
hackattack142

Postby apexever » 17. December 2013 04:54

Hi hackattack142,

Thank you very much. I did sc delete FileZillaServer and uninstall xampp, then reinstall xampp. There's not any error messages.

Thank you again.

Wish you have a nice holiday.

Best regards,

Apexever
apexever

Operating System: window7

Return to XAMPP for Windows