Apache won't start in Ubuntu 12.10 [Solved]

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache won't start in Ubuntu 12.10 [Solved]

Postby skrap1r0n » 21. November 2012 05:33

Sorry, I am new to linux, so I am trying to figure this out. I am trying to get Apache up and running, but am running into a few issues. I am mainly doing this because IIS doesn't seem to behaving with windows 7 like I need it to. I have set Ubuntu 32 to run dual boot with Win 7. I have spent about an hour looking for the answer, but I am probably not using the correct search terms, so I am hoping for some help here.

I am using Ubuntu 12.10. I have installed XAMPP (LAMPP?) in /home/<user folder>/opt/lampp/ as per the instructions. Well, the instructions say to install it in /opt, but that didn't work. It said Access denied for creating that folder, so I created a folder in /home/<user folder>/opt/ and installed it there using tar xvfz xampp-linux-1.8.1.tar.gz -C /home/<user folder>/opt, as per the instructions on the XAMPP page.

When I try to start it using /home/<user folder>/opt/lampp/lampp start as the instructions under http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html indicate, I receive the message in the terminal bash: /home/<user folder>/opt/lampp/lampp: not a directory.

How do I start this? All i need is XAMPP running so I can display a simple website. Thanks in advance.
skrap1r0n

Operating System: Ubuntu 12.10

Re: Apache won't start in Ubuntu 12.10

Postby JonB » 21. November 2012 15:28

I am using Ubuntu 12.10. I have installed XAMPP (LAMPP?) in /home/<user folder>/opt/lampp/ as per the instructions. Well, the instructions say to install it in /opt, but that didn't work. It said Access denied for creating that folder, so I created a folder in /home/<user folder>/opt/ and installed it there using tar xvfz xampp-linux-1.8.1.tar.gz -C /home/<user folder>/opt, as per the instructions on the XAMPP page.

When I try to start it using /home/<user folder>/opt/lampp/lampp start as the instructions under http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html indicate, I receive the message in the terminal bash: /home/<user folder>/opt/lampp/lampp: not a directory.

and the instructions are right - you just don't understand them yet. Thus "Well, the instructions say to install it in /opt, but that didn't work."

Look at this post -

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=51962

It will likely lead to resolving your issues -

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Re: Apache won't start in Ubuntu 12.10

Postby skrap1r0n » 21. November 2012 20:17

Thanks, that solved it. I have it up and running now.
skrap1r0n

Operating System: Ubuntu 12.10

Re: Apache won't start in Ubuntu 12.10 [Solved]

Postby JonB » 22. November 2012 02:33

I'm glad it worked, good luck with XAMPP & your project.

8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Linux