XAMPP Cannot login to PHPMyadmin

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP Cannot login to PHPMyadmin

Postby vikingboy » 08. July 2012 16:44

Hey guys, I am new here. XAMPP is a really great program, however I am experiencing a couple of errors and would appreciate it if the community can help me.

a) When attempting to access 'http://localhost/phpmyadmin/' it gives me 'Error: Cannot connect: invalid settings.' and at the bottom 'phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the connection..... given by the administrator of the MySQL server.'
After some research, it seems that this error appears when you modifiy the password section to root in the 'config.inc.php' file. The solution to fixing this is to put the very first password into the config.inc.php (I THINK) , however, I forgot the very first password.

When I try to un-install XAMPP via start>control panel>un-install a program and install it again, when I go to localhost/phpmyadmin it still gives me the error.

Any solution to this?
vikingboy

Operating System: Windows 7 32-Bit (Bootcamp)

Re: XAMPP Cannot login to PHPMyadmin

Postby JonB » 09. July 2012 15:07

A. Did you use the XAMPP Security Script, or set the PW manually in phpMyAdmin?

B. You can reset the 'root' MySQL password to a null by using the 'resetroot.bat' file found in \xampp\mysql\

C. Once that is done, you should edit config.inc.php to change the server section:

Code: Select all
/* Authentication type and info */
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'cookie';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = 'root';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = '';             # <--- those are two single quotes with no spaces between.
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['extension'] = 'mysql';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowNoPassword'] = true;

D. You will need to change the pw from the command line or with phpmyadmin - then re-edit the plaintext password in config.inc.php...

8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby trippingpara » 10. November 2012 21:39

I'm having the exact same problem, but when I try to run the resetroot.bat, I get the following error: 'InnoDB: Operating System error number 32 in a file operation. The error means that another program is using InnoDB's files. This might be a backup or antivirus software or another instance of MySQL. Please close to rid this error.'

What the....? I turned off my antivirus and I get the same error. I'm going flipping nuts trying to get back into MySQL. Please help me while I still have some hair left!
trippingpara

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby JonB » 11. November 2012 19:24

Did you do either of these?

A. Did you use the XAMPP Security Script, or set the PW manually in phpMyAdmin?

If you did not do either of these, resetroot.bat is probably not your solution

:)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Windows