Cannot get apache to run [Solved]

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Cannot get apache to run [Solved]

Postby Blunter » 02. November 2012 08:25

I have v1.8.1 installed and I cannot get apache to run at all. At first I had an issue with port 80, but after switching the port to 8080 I was getting no more errors when I started xampp.

However everytime I attempt to run apache I am getting this:

Code: Select all
3:21:11 AM  [Apache]    Error: Apache shutdown unexpectedly.
3:21:11 AM  [Apache]    This may be due to a blocked port, missing dependencies,
3:21:11 AM  [Apache]    improper privileges, a crash, or a shutdown by another method.
3:21:11 AM  [Apache]    Check the "/xampp/apache/logs/error.log" file
3:21:11 AM  [Apache]    and the Windows Event Viewer for more clues

Before you tell me to read the log file, it is not creating a one, the log folder is completely empty. Any ideas?

I am on Windows 7 SP1 64 bit if that matters.
Blunter

Operating System: Windows 7 SP1 64

Re: Cannot get apache to run

Postby JonB » 02. November 2012 14:23

The fact there is no error log means that Apache never starts

A. Did you try run the Control Panel via 'Run As Administrator'?

B. You may want to use the netstat button in the Control Panel to see if Port 80 or 443 are in use by other applications (such as Skype, 'System', or web management interfaces for MS tools)

C. You may be firewall blocked, make sure there is an exception for httpd.exe

D. Or, as suggested - you could look for an error in the Windows Management > Event Viewer (check System and Application logs)

(or you could just try searching this forum)

Good Luck
:)

ylf
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Re: Cannot get apache to run

Postby Blunter » 03. November 2012 04:17

Thanks for the reply. I did a little searching around and finally found the solution to my problem.

Despite me changing the port to 8080 in the config menu, apache was apparently still trying to use port 80 in the background. So I manually went to \xampp\apache\conf\ and opened up httpd.conf in notepad, and changed the lines "Listen 80" to "Listen 8080" and "ServerName localhost:80" to "ServerName localhost:8080". It was a success, I was able to connect to port 8080 and using http://localhost:8080 in my browser.

BUT this wasn't satisfying enough, I wanted to know why I couldn't connect to port 80 and finally found the solution to that problem:

I went as far as completely uninstalling my antivirus and firewall just to make absolutely sure they weren't causing the problem, and they weren't, I was STILL unable to get onto port 80.

So I opened up the task manager, clicked the performance tab, clicked on "Resource Monitor" and looked at Listening Ports, turns out it was "system" that was using port 80. Which was irritating as that could be anything.

After a bit of searching around I discovered it was IIS (World Wide Publishing Service) that was the culprit. I was able to kill it by going to "Services" (type it in the start menu, it has a cogwheel icon) and scrolling all the way to bottom where it says "World Wide Publishing Service" and stopped the process. I am now able to connect to port 80 on apache just fine :D
Blunter

Operating System: Windows 7 SP1 64

Return to XAMPP for Windows