XAMPP and webs.com

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP and webs.com

Postby Oakview » 04. August 2012 19:55

Hello.

I have downloaded XAMPP, the latest version, and I have a large php website with passwords and everything. I have a folder for all of those files in the htdocs folder under xampp. Now, I have tested out the website on my localhost, but now I want to get it publically online. I don't want to use my computer as a hosting server! I want to be able to use a free web hosting website to host my website. I have used webs.com before. My problem is, How do I use webs.com (or any other web hosting site) to read my files? What I'm trying to say, what are the steps I should take to get webs.com to host my website and all of the files that I have under the htdocs folder?

I have been trying to research this, but I can't find anything that helps. Most of the things I have seen are articles discussing how to setup a local/home server, and I don't want that due to security issues.

Thanks for any help! I have been trying and trying to get this to work for days now, but I just don't know how.
Oakview

Operating System: Windows

Re: XAMPP and webs.com

Postby JonB » 05. August 2012 00:16

You need to move your app/files onto whomever's server.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby Oakview » 05. August 2012 00:34

Do I need to put the XAMPP files too? Or htdocs files? My app has passwords and things like that in it too. I don't know if that makes a difference.
Oakview

Postby JonB » 05. August 2012 03:17

Hello again

You probably need to transfer only 'your files' inside htdocs. -
how are the passwords handled? do use use a file to hold them, or a database?

If you have .htaccess files they may need adjustments.

and export any MySQL (or other) databases you created yourself (if your code/application uses a database)

The easiest way to say it is - 'whatever YOU created or installed' needs to be moved - probably none of 'xampp', unless you made changes to the Apache .conf files, php.ini or my.ini for MySQL.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby Oakview » 05. August 2012 04:57

Well this is what I have:

Under the XAMPP folder > htdocs folder > opensis-ce folder > Whole bunch of php files

The opensis-ce folder with all of the files are the files that I created.

Now when I go to my computer's browser and type in http://localhost/opensis-ce/index.php, it takes me to this login webpage. I believe that the usernames and passwords are stored somewhere within a database in XAMPP. I don't know where though. Then once I login, I can do all the things I want with the application.

So with all of this, I am having trouble figuring out what exactly I am supossed to do with these files. For example, under google pages, you can create a website with them. There is a place where you can add scripts to a website, add files, etc. So do I need to copy and paste the opensis-ce files to the add files part, and that's it? Or maybe MySQL also? Or do I even copy the files over to google pages?

I'm sorry for all of the questions, but I am having a really hard time figuring this out. You see, Google Apps and webs.com are all free webhosting services. I just don't know the steps to getting this to work.

Once again, sorry for all of the questions.
Oakview

Postby JonB » 05. August 2012 21:54

You probably will not be able to use a 'free' webhosting service, because Opensis-ce requires MySQL. You should call or e-mail webs.com and see if they think your application can be moved into their site. I think they may have a bundled solution that doesn't make account of installing your own database driven apps. An e-mail or call to sales should clarify that.

Opensis-ce list their minimum requirements as Apache 2.2, PHP, MySQL 5.0, so you need a hosting company that has those services.

You should really ask over at: http://os4ed.com/forum/index.php

Unfortunately - they don't seem very committed to answering questions.

The short answer is:
A. You need a webhost that has the minimum requirements -> Apache 2.2, PHP, MySQL 5.0

B. You will need to export your database using a tool like phpmyadmin. The output file from that will need to be imported into the database on the webhost.

C. You may need to run an installation process to get your php files installed, or you may be able to copy them, there's no way for me to guess.

It looks like they offer their own hosting service, so that may be an option also.

There's really no way for us to know the 'right' answers because we didn't make the software. You should contact the developers, Opensis.

If you can't find a free webhost, there are lots of very low cost ones that meet the requirements. We are talking perhaps $4-5/month.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows