Multiple web servers [Solved]

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Multiple web servers [Solved]

Postby Neetzsche » 28. April 2012 20:55

I've been trying to figure out how can I have a regular apache 2 running on the same computer with a lampp instalation, I already changed the ports on the httpd.conf file so I'll use the port 81 but I can't make it work properly, whenever I try to start the service I get XAMPP: Another web server daemon is already running.
I've been looking for workarrounds but I've failed in my attempt, I'm starting to think it's not a problem of ports, also I tried to start the lampp's httpd service and first I got the binding error (0.0.0.0:80), but as I said I already solved that, yet I keep getting the "Another web server daemon is already running" message.
Is there any way to keep my apache2 server running along with lampp? I'm using the 1.7.7 version with CentOS.
Neetzsche

Operating System: CentOS

Re: Multiple web servers

Postby JonB » 29. April 2012 13:06

It might be doable in some fashion I have not grokked, but they both rely on the same executable in the end - 'httpd'. (they come from the same source code, but are installed differently)

I hope this helps you understand the issue.

Good Luck
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby Neetzsche » 30. April 2012 18:34

Do you have any further information about how to solve this? I mean, I want to know if there's a way to change the name of the process on XAMPP without troubles (or not big troubles at least). If you could help me or guide me to find a solution would be great. Thank you

---Edited---
Don't worry, I figured out how, it's kinda troublesome but I already made it. Thank you once again.
Neetzsche

Operating System: CentOS

Re: Multiple web servers [Solved]

Postby tom_rowe » 03. May 2012 18:03

I'm curious to know what exactly u did to resolve this issue? I have a similar situation.

Thanks,
-tom-
tom_rowe

Operating System: ubuntu linux

Postby steveosiris » 06. June 2012 03:06

Neetzsche wrote:Do you have any further information about how to solve this? I mean, I want to know if there's a way to change the name of the process on XAMPP without troubles (or not big troubles at least). If you could help me or guide me to find a solution would be great. Thank you

---Edited---
Don't worry, I figured out how, it's kinda troublesome but I already made it. Thank you once again.

You mention that you have figured out how to do this, and I am wondering if you would care to share this workaround. Any info would be great. Thanks.
-Steve
steveosiris

Operating System: macosx

Postby JonB » 06. June 2012 04:34

My suspicion is that Neetzsche renamed one of the instances of the httpd executable. (I'm guessing)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby wsjb » 25. July 2012 14:02

Hi,
I have also found that I needed to use more than one version of XAMPP on my Linux workstation and have just finished writing a "how to" explaining the steps needed to make several version of XAMPP co-exist on a single PC. This is more of the nature an "either .. or" arrangement with different versions of XAMPP rather than accommodating the distro's version of the LAMP stack - but IMO running the distro's LAMP stack has a number of disadvantages, including lack of control over the versions of LAMP components.
It's all on my blog at:
http://www.jamesbrice.com/multiple-xampp-versions
and includes a script to swap between versions by "activating" a version of XAMPP chosen from those installed on the system

I hope it proves useful.

JB
wsjb

Operating System: Ubuntu/Xubuntu

Postby JonB » 25. July 2012 15:59

Thanks for posting that info -

I think what the OP was asking about was 'concurrent' operation, but I don't know that for sure. He could have obviously made configuration changes to prevent the 'LAMP'/distro Apache from starting, and he was going down the 'port change' route -- so that is what made me think that was his intention.

I have not tried out your method/idea yet, but I will soon. In my case, I created a few virtual machines to house my LAMP/lampp and distro variants. I recently finished that project and have not added it to my 'Guide'. I do see at least one very good case in which your idea would have an excellent advantage -- 'version testing' for PHP code (presuming you made an Alias or symlink to a common ServerRoot).

Good Luck and thanks for the info.
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Linux