Unable to connect to ftp.

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Unable to connect to ftp.

Postby waldo » 12. February 2012 10:38

Hi guys, here's my situation.

I'm completely new to using Linux and setting up this kind of thing and just threw myself into this the other day. I'm running XAMPP on a vps using Centos 5, and on my home pc switching between putty/winscp freezes and disconnects sometimes for me so as far as seeing what I've previously done I'm not sure that's possible.

I had everything running fine. Apache, MySQL, and ProFTPD, but in the process of problem solving php errors while installing Joomla somewhere along the line I managed to make proftpd stop allowing me to connect via Filezilla (FTP). I did atleast get Joomla installed. :|

Port 21 is still available and proftpd is started. I've attempted restarting, I think it's a user permission thing that I may have messed with chown if that gives anyone any idea as to what I goofed on here.

Hopefully someone can help me out here. =)
waldo

Operating System: Centos 5

Re: Unable to connect to ftp.

Postby JonB » 12. February 2012 14:51

Although I have absolutely no idea why you installed XAMPP/LAMPP on a VPS that was probably properly provisioned, I will put that aside.

Ownership - Everything in /opt/lampp/ should belong to nobody:root.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby waldo » 12. February 2012 20:25

JonB wrote:Although I have absolutely no idea why you installed XAMPP/LAMPP on a VPS that was probably properly provisioned, I will put that aside.

Ownership - Everything in /opt/lampp/ should belong to nobody:root.

Good Luck
8)

Thank you but I think maybe you skipped over this part here.
I'm completely new to using Linux and setting up this kind of thing and just threw myself into this the other day.

On that note, the VPS only had Apache on it when I purchased, I don't have another PC to just be toying with, a few bucks a month for a learning process doesn't seem bad to me. I understand XAMPP is mainly for development but the point of this was to get me to understand using everything, and from the start I've felt like tutorials have been running me in circles as far as getting Apache/MySQL/ProFTPD installed and working together. This is probably the wrong place to be asking now, but does anyone have recommendations on how to go about learning to do all this without XAMPP and it still work as smoothly?
waldo

Operating System: Centos 5

Postby JonB » 13. February 2012 12:32

Actually, I didn't skip over it. I am guilty of making the possibly wrong assumption that most Linux VPS's have a LAMP stack working when provisioned.

As to the first matter at hand, did you try the recommended change???
What is the message when you try to connect???

If it doesn't work out, you can likely use your Control Panel or an SSH connection to simply remove XAMPP, and then re-install it. One of the advantages of LAMPP is that it is not really 'installed' at an OS level.

Although XAMPP/LAMPP was created a development tool, its perfectly OK to use it to learn things. Development work is intrinsically a learning experience, so that is perfectly in keeping with its intent. Sadly, I don't have a particularly good answer to "is there a way to learn all this... ".

If you happen to read the "Front Page' of "the Excruciatingly Correct Guide", the WP site in my signature line, you will find that I came into the XAMPP fold because I was looking for a tool that the average user could master that has most of the parts already working. I'm a member of another Open Source team that develops forum software, and I knew that getting Apache, Perl and MySQL all working in a "DIY" fashion was asking more than most 'noobs' could handle. I was primarily aiming my efforts at people who wanted to use a spare machine or 'dual-purposing' an existing one. Since becoming part of the XAMPP project, I have found lots of folks deploying it on remote servers. The only thing I try to emphasize is that LAMPP isn't a 'real LAMP' stack (its a bash script), so if you want it to work 'as is', it will probably be very adequate.

Good Luck.
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby peteredhik » 04. April 2012 12:10

Edhik Hosting is a leading and best linux vps server hosting service provider in India. Our company offers advanced VPS hosting at affordable prices. We use optimal hardware solutions and technical placements for the Linux VPS.
peteredhik

Operating System: Windows XP

Return to XAMPP for Linux