Can't start lampp in fedora 17 [SOLVED]

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Can't start lampp in fedora 17 [SOLVED]

Postby matthew.javelet » 31. March 2012 20:26

Hello, I've been using xampp for many years and this is the frist time I've needed to come here for support. The only reason I'm coming here and not the fedora forums is because the error message recieved asked me to report my issue here. If it's an issue with fedora I'll be more than happy to direct my issue towards them.

So I snagged a copy of 1.7.7 today after a fresh installation and extracted it's contents to /opt. The extraction was completely successfuly as always. My issue is with starting up lampp, here's a copy of what I get when running "sudo /opt/lampp/lampp start" in the terminal:
Code: Select all
[matthew@Hal9000]$ sudo /opt/lampp/lampp start
XAMPP: SELinux is activated. Making XAMPP fit SELinux...
Starting XAMPP for Linux 1.7.7...
/opt/lampp/bin/php: error while loading shared libraries: libz.so.1: cannot enable executable stack as shared object requires: Permission denied
XAMPP: Starting Apache with SSL ...
/opt/lampp/bin/httpd: error while loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.0: cannot enable executable stack as shared object requires: Permission denied
XAMPP: Error 127! Couldn't start Apache!
XAMPP: Starting diagnose...
XAMPP: Sorry, I've no idea what's going wrong.
XAMPP: Please contact our forum http://community.apachefriends.org/f/
XAMPP: Starting MySQL...
/opt/lampp/bin/my_print_defaults: error while loading shared libraries: libz.so.1: cannot enable executable stack as shared object requires: Permission denied
XAMPP: Couldn't start MySQL!
XAMPP: Starting ProFTPD...
XAMPP: /opt/lampp/sbin/proftpd: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.1.0.0: cannot enable executable stack as shared object requires: Permission denied
XAMPP: Error 127! Couln't start ProFTPD!
XAMPP for Linux started.

Permissions must be denied by SELinux right? I'm obviously running the command as root so I have root permissions, something is interfering and I'm not sure what as I'm somewhat new to fedora. I've ran lampp and wampp for many years and never had any problems so having any errors at all is new.

Thanks, matt.

edit:
Alright so I just noticed a SELinux alert saying it prevented php from starting and I need to set it to allow something to let it work, something I'm not familiar with at all.

SELinux is preventing php from using the execstack access on a process.

Plugin: catchall_boolean
you want to allow php to have execstack access on the processIf you want to allow unconfined executables to make their stack executable.  This should never, ever be necessary. Probably indicates a badly coded executable, but could indicate an attack. This executable should be reported in bugzilla
You must tell SELinux about this by enabling the 'allow_execstack'boolean.
setsebool -P allow_execstack 1

And this:
SELinux is preventing php from using the execstack access on a process.

Plugin: catchall
you want to allow php to have execstack access on the processIf you believe that php should be allowed execstack access on processes labeled unconfined_t by default.
You should report this as a bug.
You can generate a local policy module to allow this access.
Allow this access for now by executing:
# grep php /var/log/audit/audit.log | audit2allow -M mypol
# semodule -i mypol.pp
matthew.javelet

Operating System: Fedora 17

Re: Can't start lampp in fedora 17.

Postby matthew.javelet » 31. March 2012 20:52

Apparently I didn't pharse my search properly the first time for google. After more looking I found a forum indicating that these commands can prevent SELinux from interferring with xampp and after running
setsebool -P allow_execstack 1

Fixed my issue.
matthew.javelet

Operating System: Fedora 17

Return to XAMPP for Linux