Need to reinstall windows on a new drive

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Need to reinstall windows on a new drive

Postby xdev » 14. March 2012 10:50

Next week I will need to reinstall Windows on another drive (I'm getting a SSD). My XAMPP (1.7.7) is installed on a different partition than C:\ .

I'm using XAMPP for local development...so I have some databases setup and of course some files (an wordpress and a joomla instalation).

Now...my questions is...How can I make sure XAMPP will still work after reinstalling the OS. Do I need to backup all the databases and files and move them to a new XAMPP installation? ...or is there an easier way? :roll: :?:
I would appreciate some help. Will I still be able so start XAMPP Control panel to be able to start apache and mysql somehow?
Daniel
xdev

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate - 64bit

Re: Need to reinstall windows

Postby Sharley » 14. March 2012 10:53

Would you be so kind as to add your Windows Operating System Version to your profile as per these instructions and associated information:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48626
Thanks. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Re: Need to reinstall windows

Postby xdev » 14. March 2012 10:59

Sharley wrote:Would you be so kind as to add your Windows Operating System Version to your profile as per these instructions and associated information:
http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48626
Thanks. :)

Thanks for the advice. I've changed the profile.
xdev

Re: Need to reinstall windows on a new drive

Postby Sharley » 14. March 2012 11:21

Thanks for editing your profile. :)

Even though you probably used the XAMPP installer to install 1.7.7 it does not add content to the Windows registry unless you are running the components as a Windows service. ie you have ticked the Svc check boxes or ticked the Services in the newer XCPv3 Control Panel.

So if you stop all components - Apache, MySQL FileZilla etc. - and remove the ticks in the Svc check boxes so you have no component running and no component installed as a Windows service and you have exited (clicked the Exit button in the control panel or the Quit button in the newer control panel) then you should be able to copy the XAMPP folder to your new hard drive after reinstalling your OS if required.

Then you would simply run the setup_xampp.bat file found in the xampp folder to set the new path location in all the XAMPP system files.

You would need to edit any paths you have in your own files and folders to reflect the changed location if it different to the current location.

If you are not changing location of XAMPP but simply installing a new drive for your OS then you should still following the above instructions to make sure you have uninstalled all Windows services and made sure that all components including the Control Panel are stopped and closed - there should then be no need to run the setup_xampp.bat file as your path location will not have changed.

I never use the installer version of XAMPP, I use the zip installation method but that should not make any difference and to prove the above instruction will work, I have just installed Win7 on a new computer and copied all my XAMPP versions to a new SATA drive that does not have Win7 on it.

Then I ran the setup_xampp.bat file in each version (I have most versions installed for troubleshooting in here) because the drive letter was different and all versions are working perfectly with absolutely no lost data, files or folders.

In brief - make sure all components are stopped, all Windows services are uninstalled and the CP is exited before installing the new OS and drive.

Best wishes.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby xdev » 14. March 2012 11:55

Thank you for your detailed answer. I really appreciate it.

You are right, I used the installer for XAMPP not the zip. I'm not using services, I only start them when I need them from XAMPP control panel.

I'm only installing the OS on a new drive, the XAMPP folder will remain where it is. I will follow your method and I hope it works :)

Again, thank you!
Daniel
xdev

Postby Sharley » 14. March 2012 12:01

You're welcome Daniel and good luck with the new OS install (I have had nothing but trouble with my new PC and Win7 but no problems with any of my XAMPP versions :) ).

Best wishes. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby kirkwebsites » 14. March 2012 21:52

Along the same lines, I copied my entire xampp system, htdocs & all from my other machine(win7) to this machine(winxp) and don't know how or what to change to get it to work. I do have services checked. I can use your input. Thanks in advance
kirkwebsites

Operating System: windows xp

Postby Sharley » 14. March 2012 23:32

@kirkwebsites

You must first Stop all components and uninstall any Windows services by removing the ticks in the check boxes, then exit the control panel before moving the XAMPP folder to its new location.

At the new location before you start anything including any component's Windows service (ticks in the Svc boxes or ticks in the Service column of XCPv3), you will need to run the setup_xampp.bat file (the location is mentioned in my detailed post above) to change the XAMPP system paths to reflect the new location.

Using this method I can relocate any or all of my numerous XAMPP version installations to any location I choose.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows