ftp permissions

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

ftp permissions

Postby cerr » 05. March 2012 05:02

Hi,

I installed Drupal and am having difficulties installing a module with ftp. I entered ftp user credentials correcrtly but permissions seem to be messed up. On the console I get the following:
Code: Select all
drwxrwxrwx 4 reg reg 4096 2012-02-01 14:03 .
drwxrwxrwx 4 reg reg 4096 2012-02-01 14:03 ..
drwxrwxrwx 3 reg reg 4096 2012-03-04 19:03 modules
-rwxrwxrwx 1 reg reg  347 2012-02-01 14:03 README.txt
drwxrwxrwx 2 reg reg 4096 2012-02-01 14:03 themes
root@reg-desktop:~/Downloads/drupal-7.12/sites/all#

After I 777-ed my modules dir but when I try to install a module, Drupal tells me:
fusion_accelerator

Error installing / updating
File Transfer failed, reason: Cannot create directory /drupal-7.12/sites/all/modules/fusion_accelerator

Why is this? How do I give Drupal (the ftp user)permissions to write to my directory?
Thank you!
Ron
chEErs roN
cerr

Operating System: Kubuntu 11.10

Re: ftp permissions

Postby JonB » 05. March 2012 09:07

Hi Ron -

I'm a little confused on a couple things.

A. are you working on the machine locally? If so, you likely don't need to use FTP to do things.

B. I'm also a little unsure where you have placed your Drupal folders, what is their absolute path???

Thanks and good luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby cerr » 05. March 2012 15:53

JonB wrote:A. are you working on the machine locally? If so, you likely don't need to use FTP to do things.

B. I'm also a little unsure where you have placed your Drupal folders, what is their absolute path???

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I do work on a local machine but Drupal asks for ftp credentials.
The absolue path of my drupal folder is "/opt/lampp/htdocs/drupal-7.12"
chEErs roN
cerr

Operating System: Kubuntu 11.10

Postby JonB » 06. March 2012 03:56

OK -

First, I have to say I have had mixed results with trying to run FTP-based installs on local machines, both on Linux and on Windows. I do a lot of Wordpress stuff and it 'seems to work' -- sometimes. A lot of Wordpress add-ins are designed to be added from the Dashbaord via FTP. (95% of the time it just does not work - I put the files in the folders manually, and then run the installs. I don't know a lot about Drupal, so I can't be a lot of help on their installers.

Second - all the files in opt/lampp/htdocs/ should probably belong to nobody:root.

That said the FTP user is defaulted to 'nobody' - what the password is depends on if you have run /opt/lampp/lampp security or not -

A matter of security (A MUST READ!)
As mentioned before, XAMPP is not meant for production use but only for developers in a development environment. The way XAMPP is configured is to be open as possible and allowing the developer anything he/she wants. For development environments this is great but in a production environment it could be fatal.

Here a list of missing security in XAMPP:

The MySQL administrator (root) has no password.
The MySQL daemon is accessible via network.
ProFTPD uses the password "lampp" for user "nobody".
PhpMyAdmin is accessible via network.
Examples are accessible via network.
MySQL and Apache running under the same user (nobody).

To fix most of the security weaknesses simply call the following command:
/opt/lampp/lampp security
It starts a small security check and makes your XAMPP installation quite secure. For example this protects the XAMPP demo pages by a username ('lampp') and password combination.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for Linux