Need help transferring content to new installation

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Need help transferring content to new installation

Postby Dewey68 » 23. February 2012 22:25

I have read through the support forums for the last week and tried many of the tips that I have found here, but I haven't been successful in resolving my problem. I have inherited this so it's new to me.

We are currently running an internal website on XAMPP 1.7 on a Windows Server 2003 box.

I'm trying to install XAMPP 1.7.7 and transfer the content to that installation. I have backed up my htdocs folder and the MySQL folder, as well as exported a copy of all databases. I have then uninstalled the 1.7 installation, and installed 1.7.7. The new installation of 1.7.7 seems to complete successfully, but when I try to import my exported copy of my databases in using the phpMyAdmin link through the control panel, I get an error that the root user password is incorrect. By the way, I don't know what the account information is for MySQL, so I ran the "resetroot.bat" file before I exported the old database files.

Thanks to any help provided to this noob. :)
Dewey68

Operating System: Windows Server 2003

Re: Need help transferring content to new installation

Postby JonB » 24. February 2012 04:29

If phpMyAdmin is squawking before you get in - then the problem is with the new installation.

Good Luck
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby Dewey68 » 24. February 2012 16:17

PhpMyAdmin is only squawking when I try to import my old database. I can log in to phpMyAdmin with root and null password fine. Am I misunderstanding you?
Dewey68

Postby JonB » 24. February 2012 19:47

OK - that was what I wanted to know -

Did you export ALL your databases, or just a select few???

(I have a working theory now -- but its OK if I am wrong too)

You might just be dealing with a glitch too. You could try MySQL Workbench, its free and easy to use (has almost everything phpMyAdmin has -- and soem things it doesn't)

http://wb.mysql.com/

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby Dewey68 » 24. February 2012 20:31

I exported all databases.
Dewey68

Postby JonB » 25. February 2012 08:16

I'm going to 'guess' that the problem actually is that you are trying to re-import the MySQL metadata. I would suggest you use phpyAdmin to first set up any users other than 'root' manually in your new instance of MySQL. Then use it to restore the individual databases.

Good Luck
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby Dewey68 » 27. February 2012 17:08

Thanks for helping me out here. I don't think that my databases are being exported properly, or more specifically, I don't think that I'm resetting my root password correctly. I have modified my resetroot.bat file according to your "Faq's for MySQL" page, but my resetroot.bat file does not look the same as what you have detailed there. I did add the path as you suggested, and the command appears to work correctly, as I'm no longer seeing an error file being generated after running the command, but when I try to access my databases from the phpMyAdmin page I only see the "information_schema" and "test" databases listed. I also tried resetting the root password using the mysql-init.txt file that is detailed in your FAQ: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/resetting-permissions.html, but the command does not complete and the service doesn't start. The command is: "mysqld --init-file=c:\\mysql-init.txt". The path looks correct. I'm actually running the command from c:\xampp\mysql\bin .
Dewey68

Postby JonB » 27. February 2012 18:00

The command is: "mysqld --init-file=c:\\mysql-init.txt". The path looks correct. I'm actually running the command from c:\xampp\mysql\bin .
mysqld --init-file=c:\\mysql-init.txt".

It does not look right to me... that would imply that mysql-init.txt is in the root of the c:\ drive - you would need to have the proper path to the location of the file

Never the less:

If you are having troubles, I suggest you try using Oracle's free database tool - MySQL Workbench. Its a program that installs on Windows, and has very conceivable tool for MySQL built in - administration, import/export

http://www.mysql.com/products/workbench/

You will need to start your MySQL server as a service before you use Workbench to "do things". You will ba able to test logging in without making it a service if you need to.

Once Workbench is installed, Use the Server Management option & see if you can log in on either localhost or 127.0.0.1 as 'root'.

I'll look at the 1.7.7 resetroot.bat later today after work.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby Dewey68 » 27. February 2012 18:20

JonB wrote:
The command is: "mysqld --init-file=c:\\mysql-init.txt". The path looks correct. I'm actually running the command from c:\xampp\mysql\bin .
mysqld --init-file=c:\\mysql-init.txt".

It does not look right to me... that would imply that mysql-init.txt is in the root of the c:\ drive - you would need to have the proper path to the location of the file

8)

That file actually is at the root of c:, but mysqld file is in the default location.

I've downloaded the workbench tool and will give it a try. Thanks again.
Dewey68

Postby Dewey68 » 28. February 2012 19:43

I've downloaded MySQL Workbench, but without being able to log in to the database I don't see how it is going to help me. Is there a password reset utility in it that I'm missing?
Dewey68

Postby Dewey68 » 28. February 2012 21:06

Ok, I found the database root password. WinMySQLadmin is running at startup on this server, but it was throwing errors so I stopped it. I let it run long enough to see the root password in the .ini file that it lists in the application. Using that password I was able to successfully export my databases.

I uninstalled Xampp, and installed version 1.7.7. I was able to import the databases using MySQL Workbench. After resetting all root passwords, the website now comes up, but I have some errors on the mainpage. When I import the databases into the new installation of MySQL, should it modify the database to address these issues?
Dewey68

Return to XAMPP for Windows