64 Bit versus 32 Bit [Answered]

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

64 Bit versus 32 Bit [Answered]

Postby robertdaleweir » 14. February 2012 02:43

Hi
I have just started using XAMPP 1.7.7 for Linux. I am using Fedora 16 x86_64 and everything installed beautifully. The Target Web Server, a commercial one, which is running CentOS 32 Bit. I know that there is no differentiation when downloading as to 32 or 64 Bit versions, so I assume that everything needed is self contained under the /opt/lampp/ directory and does not care whether the OS is 32 Bit or 64 Bit.
Is this true? I wish to create, using the installed code, a system suited to my specific needs and 'tar' it over to the commercial unit when all is working.
Robert
robertdaleweir

Operating System: Fedora 16

Re: 64 Bit versus 32 Bit

Postby JonB » 14. February 2012 03:24

Yep, should work.

Only executables and libraries are really affected by the 32bit/64bit differentiation.

XAMPP/LAMPP is 32 bit, so there won't be a problem anyway. If you are 'going to Centos' (its what I have on my VPS's) some things will be in slightly differently named/located folders. There will also be different owners for the files so that will need to be watched if you use a tar format/parameters that preserve ownership.

Also bear in mind that XAMPP/LAMPP is not really a LAMP stack in the traditional sense. Its a bash script, that uses command line calls to execute the applications. Consequently the OS is unaware of XAMPP and any of its constituent parts. If XAMPP already has most of things you need, you are good to go. If you anticipate needing things that are not in XAMPP at the outset, it would be best to inquire now, as it were.

Good luck with your project.
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby robertdaleweir » 14. February 2012 08:26

Hi JonB
Thanks. I have just installed a version of CentOS and I will try to install and run it locally, to see what exact locations/folders it uses for install. I am, at this time, unsure just what I may need but I will keep your comment in mind. Cheers...
Robert
robertdaleweir

Postby JonB » 14. February 2012 14:17

That probably isn't a bad idea, however, all you really need to know (in most cases) is how the server is provisioned. Your installation of Centos may be nothing at all like the way its installed on a shared host system or on a VPS or dedicated server. The reason is that most hosting operations use what are called provisioning tools that 'rubber stamp' servers so they work correctly with the choice of Control Panel.

All you really need is what amount to a horizontal tree diagram, saying where things are on each system relative to the Server Root.

Jeez, I have probably made this too complicated, LOL.

MUCH MORE important if you are going to do development is to get a good match on language and database versions. 'Real World' servers rarely have the latest/greatest software versions installed. Most are not upgraded at all unless absolutely necessary (particularly shared hosting).

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby robertdaleweir » 21. February 2012 20:26

JonB wrote:Yep, should work.

Only executables and libraries are really affected by the 32bit/64bit differentiation.

XAMPP/LAMPP is 32 bit, so there won't be a problem anyway. If you are 'going to Centos' (its what I have on my VPS's) some things will be in slightly differently named/located folders. There will also be different owners for the files so that will need to be watched if you use a tar format/parameters that preserve ownership.

Also bear in mind that XAMPP/LAMPP is not really a LAMP stack in the traditional sense. Its a bash script, that uses command line calls to execute the applications. Consequently the OS is unaware of XAMPP and any of its constituent parts. If XAMPP already has most of things you need, you are good to go. If you anticipate needing things that are not in XAMPP at the outset, it would be best to inquire now, as it were.

Good luck with your project.
8)

Hi JonB
Well I have come upon an issue which I would like your opinion on. I am trying to install phpBB3 on my unit as well as your 'lampp' process. I am wondering if I should integrate it somehow within your process (using all your MySql, php, etc under /opt/) or should I run it separately running another version of Apache, MySql, php, etc., as needed) at /? It would seem to me that it could easily be incorporated either under /opt/lampp/ or at least share the same running Apps that you are using. Is you Apache Friends Forum using phpBB?
Any help in this direction would be greatly appreciated. Cheers...
Robert
robertdaleweir

Postby JonB » 21. February 2012 23:37

Most PHP based programs will work just fine under lampp, its only executables you have to worry about. Scripts are unaffected.

Apache Friends does run on phpBB, but I don't know what it is hosted on... on the other hand - I personally run both phpBB3 and YaBB forums on both Windows (XAMPP) and Linux (LAMPP) servers. The phpBB forum runs in htdocs, and I had no problems installing it.

I need to clarify something - installing a "program" or "application" on an Operating System is not at all the same as installing a script. A script, by definition, relies on resources already present (installed). That's why they are called scripts, they 'tell' the application(s) what to do. In the case of phpBB, those resources/applications would be Apache (httpd.exe) and the MySQL database server. (things set in place by XAMPP). So nothing new is required to make them work generally.

I anticipate you should have no problems at all.

Good Luck, I'm sure it will be fine.
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby robertdaleweir » 22. February 2012 02:35

JonB wrote:Most PHP based programs will work just fine under lampp, its only executables you have to worry about. Scripts are unaffected.

Apache Friends does run on phpBB, but I don't know what it is hosted on... on the other hand - I personally run both phpBB3 and YaBB forums on both Windows (XAMPP) and Linux (LAMPP) servers. The phpBB forum runs in htdocs, and I had no problems installing it.

I need to clarify something - installing a "program" or "application" on an Operating System is not at all the same as installing a script. A script, by definition, relies on resources already present (installed). That's why they are called scripts, they 'tell' the application(s) what to do. In the case of phpBB, those resources/applications would be Apache (httpd.exe) and the MySQL database server. (things set in place by XAMPP). So nothing new is required to make them work generally.

I anticipate you should have no problems at all.

Good Luck, I'm sure it will be fine.
8)

Hi JonB
OK. Thanks, I will give it a try.
Robert
robertdaleweir

Return to XAMPP for Linux