[SOLVED]Apache, MySQL won't start

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

[SOLVED]Apache, MySQL won't start

Postby toxteth o'grady » 08. February 2012 16:28

This is my first post to the site, so apologies if I'm not expaining myself well enough. I have searched the site, but although I've found cases that look similar, they've not been the same.

I installed XAMPP (1.7.1) about three years ago. Loved it. Thought it was brilliant. Had no problems at all until a recent log-in when I got the message:'You don't have permissions to access the requested object.It is either read-protected or not readable by the server'. I was devastated at first, thinking I'd lost everything, but felt a bit better when I discovered the tables and their data could be recovered.

To cut a long story short, the problem was that current directory (:D/upload/xammp) was different to the install directory (:D/xampp) giving '*** WARNING directory mismatch ('Upload' is a [usually] empty folder where I put scripts,images etc that are going to be uploaded to the net).I've absolutely no idea how several folders from folder'xampp' managed to be copied to folder 'upload'. I did my best to sort it but eventually decided that the best course of action was to save the tables and data folders and uninstall and reinstall with a more up-to-date version.

Unistalling wasn't without problems - the xampp and control folders couldn't be deleted (until I renamed them) and it took a few goes to complete the install (1.7.7), but did so in the end.

However,I can't get Xampp up and running. When I click 'Start' (for Apache) on the control panel (2.5) I get 'Busy...' and then 'ERROR:Apache service not started [-1]'.When I click 'Start' for MySQL I get 'Busy...' and then 'MySQL service started', and then 'Running'is displayed with green background for about a second and then goes away. When I look at Control Panel v.3.0.2 I see "d:\xampp\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe" seems to be running on port 3306?

I'm aware that I probably haven't given enough information for anyone to completely diagnose the problem, so could anyone tell me where to start? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by toxteth o'grady on 22. March 2012 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
toxteth o'grady

Operating System: windows XP Home Service Pack 2

Re: Apache, MySQL won't start

Postby hackattack142 » 08. February 2012 23:25

First, you should remove the services especially if they are left over from the last installation.

To do that, uncheck the boxes in the control panel. If that does not work, issue the following commands from a command prompt:
Code: Select all
sc delete Apache2.2
sc delete mysql

See if they gets them running.

Also, it would be helpful to know any errors in the log files (/xampp/apache/logs and /xampp/mysql/data/mysql_error.log)
XAMPP Control Panel Developer
Latest CP: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932
hackattack142

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

Postby toxteth o'grady » 09. February 2012 16:36

Hi hackattack142, and thanks very much for getting back on this.

The Apache and MySQL boxes were checked on the control panel. Whenever I uncheck the Apache box a warning box headed 'XAMPP control' appears that says 'Click OK to uninstall the Apache Service' along with 'OK' and 'Cancel' buttons. When I click on 'OK' (or even 'Cancel') the box becomes checked again straight away.

The MySQL box unchecked without any problems. When I click 'Start' for MySQL it displays 'Running' with a green background and 'Busy...' and 'MySQL [Port 3306]'. And it stays like that that, so I guess that this part of the problem has been sorted.

The D:\xampp\apache\logs\error.txt is empty.

D:\xampp\mysql\data\mysql_error has a lot of messages that don't mean anything to me (but I know next to nothing), but towards the end the phrases

120207 12:40:32 InnoDB: Operating system error number 32 in a file operation.
InnoDB: The error means that another program is using InnoDB's files.
InnoDB: This might be a backup or antivirus software or another instance
InnoDB: of MySQL. Please close it to get rid of this error.

appear over and over again.
(However, as I said above the MySQL bit seems to be sorted)

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I start up a command prompt?

Thanks again for your help.
toxteth o'grady

Postby hackattack142 » 10. February 2012 01:27

You can open a command prompt by doing Start > Run > cmd

When you open the Version 3 control panel, does it give any warnings about applications using port 80 or port 443?

You can get an updated control panel here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932&p=186862

In the older control panels, a grey check means the service is uninstalled and a green check is installed. It can be a little confusing and should be more clear in the newer control panel.

See if trying to manually remove the apache service like i mentioned in the last post helps.
hackattack142

Postby toxteth o'grady » 10. February 2012 17:50

Hi hackattack142, and thanks very much again for helping me with this problem.

I attempted to delete Apache2.2 via the command prompt but I've a feeling it's not gone the way it should. I clicked on the 'Start' button which brought up the panel with recently used progs on the left column, My this-that-and-the-other on top of the right column with 'Run...' at the bottom. I clicked on 'Run..' which produced a 'Run' box and entered 'sc delete Apache2.2' (although the box asked 'Type the name of a folder,program, document or internet resours and Windows will open it for you') then saw a 'black box' appear and quickly disappear.

When I checked the (2.5) panel I saw that the Apache tick box was empty and tried to start it. Didn't display 'Running'. Started MySQL which seemed to work.

A look at the v3 panel shows Apache and MySQL checked in grey.There were no warnings about applications using port 80 or port 443.

I have screen dumps for these, but can't figure out how to get them into the post. I will post again in the next few hours and type the info in manually.
toxteth o'grady

Postby toxteth o'grady » 10. February 2012 21:46

Back again after a few hours, as I said in the last post.

I was hoping to copy the text straight from the screen onto the post, but unable to do so, so here it is in longhand

XAMPP Control Panel 2.5 displayed

XAMPP Control Panel Version 2.5 (16. March 2011)
Windows 5.1 Build 2600 Platform 2 20:05:03 [main]
Current Directory :d\xampp
Status Check OK
Busy...
Apache started [Port 80]
Busy...
MySQL started [Port 3306]

XAMPP Control Panel 3.0.2 displayed

20:05:03 [main] Initializing main
20:05:03 [main] Windows version:5.1 (build 2600) - 20:05:03 [main]
20:05:03 [main] Xampp version:1.7.7
20:05:03 [main] Control centerversion:3.0.2 [Compiled:Jul 21th 2011 - build # 1]
20:05:03 [main] Running as admin - good!
20:05:03 [main] Working with basedir:":d\xampp"
20:05:03 [main] Initializing moduls
20:05:03 [mysql] ":d\xampp\mysql\bin\msql.exe" seems to be running on port 3306?
20:05:03 [main] Starting checker-timer

Hope this helps
(there must be an easier way than this!)
toxteth o'grady

Postby hackattack142 » 10. February 2012 23:57

You are still using the older version of the Version 3 control panel. The latest version is 3.0.11. It will allow you to copy from that log window. You can also copy for the .log file it creates in the same folder.

Something to try installing: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... px?id=5582

If that does not work:
1. Did you use the installer to install XAMPP or the USB version?
2. Are there any errors in the Windows Event Viewer Application Logs (Start > Run > eventvwr)
hackattack142

Postby toxteth o'grady » 11. February 2012 21:58

Hi hackattack143, thanks very much again for bearing with me.

I think that somewhere along the line you've fixed it for me.
I was so busy posting and checking logs etc yesterday that (stupidly) I completely neglected to even check if XAMPP was working.

Today I downloaded and installed the microsoft download you recommended, spent ages looking at the Windows Event Viewer Application, then actually thought about seeing if I could get into 'phpmyadmin'. I could. I haven't had time to install the old tables to check whether eveything is working perfectly, but this is a big, big step. I've just spent the best part of an hour writing a post about logs, downloads and the like and have now had to delete it.

I'll post tomorrow and let you know if everthing's OK.

Thanks very, very much for all your time and help over the last few days.
toxteth o'grady

[SOLVED] Apache, MySQL won't start

Postby toxteth o'grady » 12. February 2012 21:57

Jumped on the computer today, tried to access 'phpmydamin' - no luck.Disappointed.
Suddenly realised that Apache/mysql not started (so used to them being started at boot up).

Started manually and 'phpmyadmin' there!! Brill!.I've put the databases and htdocs back, had

a play around and almost everything seems to be fine. A few scripts have loads of warning

messages - seems like a lot of PHP functions have been depracated since the old release.

I'm a very happy bunny. Thanks very much,hackattack143, for all your help. I wouldn't have had a clue where to start. You can now mark this thread as SORTED!
toxteth o'grady

Return to XAMPP for Windows