No LocalHost after xampp install

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

No LocalHost after xampp install

Postby CallumH » 08. February 2012 10:12

Hi, any help out there would be gratefully appreciated as I am running around in circles and pulling my hair out! This is my first problem post so please bear with me to follow your forum protocols.

After xammp installation I cannot draw up the 'admin' pages through 'Localhost', however, i can by using the http://127.0.0.1/ address. Although this allows me access to xammp page I cannot get access to phpmyadmin.

I have installed xammp v1.7.7 on my laptop with Windows 7 (64). There was a notice regarding UAC but as I installed in c:/xammp i think it is irrelevent - everything else seemed to go according to plan. All signs pointed to succesful instalation (apache 2.2. and mysql / I already have filezilla). WIndows firewall was given 'Home/Work (Private)' privelages. I have unintalled and reinstalled xammp a few times now and scouted around for clues, therefore I have removed skype and think that xampp is using Port 80.

If i try to access phpmyadmin by using the xampp page button it goes to this address [http://127.0.0.1/phpmyadmin/] but gives trhe following message - "Welcome to phpMyAdmin
Error MySQL said #2002 - The server is not responding (or the local MySQL server's socket is not correctly configured), Connection for controluser as defined in your configuration failed".

If i run a status report from within the xampp page i get the following reading

Component /Status
MySQL database Deactivated
PHP Activated
HTTPS (SSL) Activated
Common Gateway Interface (CGI) Activated
Server Side Includes Activated
SMTP Service Deactivated
FTP Service Deactivated
Tomcat Service Deactivated

If I run a status report from the control panel i get the following
Xammp Control Panel Version 2.5
Windows 6.1 Build 7601 Platform 2 Service Pack 1
Current Directory: c:\xampp
WARN: this program must be run from your xampp root directory
INFO: Perhaps theis program running on a 64 bit platform please ignore message above
Xammp Application status 1.1.2.2
Httpd State 1 Service 1 Start 0 Thread 0 Op 0 Port 80
MySql State 1 Service 1 Start 0 Thread 0 Op 0 Port 3306
ftp State 0 Service 0 Start 0 Thread 0 Op 0 Port 21
mecury State 0 Service 0 Start 0 Thread 0 Op 0 Port 25
java State 0 Service 0 Start 0 Thread 0 Op 0 Port 8080

I have looked at the config.inc.php file located in c:/xampp/MyAdmin and noticed that there is NO reference to localhost (which is in slight contradiction to the config.sample.inc file) - am i supposed to edit this somehow?

Last bit of info.... When i tried to install xampp yesterday and could not reach locahost so i then tried 'wamp' and next 'ampp' and I seem to be running into the same problem with all three programs - does this mean that it is my laptop or windows 7 problem instead?

Any help to access my Localhost and phpMyAdmin would be trully appreciated - thanks!

Callum
CallumH

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: No LocalHost after xampp install

Postby CallumH » 08. February 2012 10:44

i Have also used the CD Collection Button in the xampp page and get the following reports, however, I do not know what to do to act upon them (there are more of these failure reports if a list as pdf)

CD Collection (Example for PHP+MySQL+PDF Class)
A very simple CD programm.
CD list as PDF document.

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found. in C:\xampp\htdocs\xampp\cds.php on line 78

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: [2002] php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found. (trying to connect via tcp://localhost:3306) in C:\xampp\htdocs\xampp\cds.php on line 78

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found. in C:\xampp\htdocs\xampp\cds.php on line 78

Could not connect to database!
Is MySQL running or did you change the password?
CallumH

Postby CallumH » 08. February 2012 10:51

Hi,

more details... if these help?!?

if i open the index.php in C:\xampp\htdocs i get some code and a message that says Something is wrong with the XAMPP installation

Code as follows...

Code: Select all
<?php
   if (!empty($_SERVER['HTTPS']) && ('on' == $_SERVER['HTTPS'])) {
      $uri = 'https://';
   } else {
      $uri = 'http://';
   }
   $uri .= $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'];
   header('Location: '.$uri.'/xampp/');
   exit;
?>
Something is wrong with the XAMPP installation :-(
CallumH

Postby hackattack142 » 08. February 2012 14:40

I would check your HOSTS file. See this post for details on that: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=49599&p=191349#p191349

Other posts in that thread may also be useful.
XAMPP Control Panel Developer
Latest CP: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932
hackattack142

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

Postby CallumH » 13. February 2012 09:28

Hi there hackattack142.

I drilled down to the host file ands removed the "#" as was suggested in the thread you referred me to and that did the trick.

Many many thanks for your assistance.

Cheers,

CallumH
CallumH

Return to XAMPP for Windows