Any thought to rpm?

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Any thought to rpm?

Postby Wylbur » 23. January 2012 05:02

I'm running SuSE Linux 11.4 64 bit (and will be going to 12.1 when I get time to debug the migration install -- long story). Before I did the install of XAMPP, I uninstalled PHP, Apache, and MySQL which had been installed via Yast and .rpms.

Would it be possible to create the rpm type install so that all the other things that need to be in-synch with XAMPP would get handled?

Regards,
Wylbur
Wylbur

Operating System: OpenSuSE 11.4 64bit

Re: Any thought to rpm?

Postby JonB » 23. January 2012 11:32

Short answer: probably not

Short reason: XAMPP is really 'not installed' as far as your Linux distribution is concerned. The /opt/lampp/lampp file that runs XAMPP is actually a bash script that circumvents the need to 'install' all the components y running them at a CLI level. Its worth opening with an editor and taking a look at how things work.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby Wylbur » 23. January 2012 14:44

But you still have prerequisites. There are specific "libraries" that are needed, that if they are not there, XAMPP doesn't work. The rpm setup specifies the dependencies so that they will get resolved.
Wylbur

Postby JonB » 23. January 2012 15:12

But you still have prerequisites. There are specific "libraries" that are needed, that if they are not there, XAMPP doesn't work

Actually you don't -- you need to spend some time looking at the lampp script and exploring the /opt/lampp folders (as I suggested before), otherwise you would not have made that statement. It's also useful to read the configuration files for Apache, MySQL, and Perl (and so forth) - they only reference files located within /opt/lampp.

All that is needed to make XAMPP works is contained in /opt/lampp -- period. Indeed, that is the raison d'être for XAMPP (in any OS flavor), there are no dependencies or other installations to be done.

The ONLY exception (on Linux) is if you are running a 64bit distribution that does not have the ia32 libraries installed, otherwise XAMPP will run out-of-the-box on nay Linux machine that runs on Intel x86 architecture, there are NO dependencies. On XAMPP 1.7.7 for Windows, you may have to install the MS Visual C 2008 runtime libraries.

I am not trying to be argumentative, I am stating facts. If you don't believe me, install it on a stripped down Linux distribution - it will run. I will also point out that RPM's are not the only repository system for Linux nor are yum/YaST universal -- another reason NOT to have an RPM. XAMPP is OS version neutral pretty much in all flavors.

For fun, try using an unqualified (meaning no path) httpd directive in term, and see what happens. Just don't reply in the affirmative, if you are asked if you want to install anything.

Good Luck with XAMPP, and if you have questions, we will be here.
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby Wylbur » 24. January 2012 04:04

"The ONLY exception (on Linux) is if you are running a 64bit distribution that does not have the ia32 libraries installed" tells me you did not read what I said in the first post "I'm running SuSE Linux 11.4 64 bit".

I am also not trying to be argumentative. I am a professional software developer having worked on different platforms (mainframe, midrange and PC types). And I have run into certain issues on different platforms that I work with. Frankly, I am impressed with the install and how quickly this came up (after having battled with Apache after installing it under SuSE 11.4 via the rpm).

I have searched and read various postings in this forum, and had the idea that I was looking forward to a gotcha.

I'll be back if things go sideways -- but from what I've seen so far, and what you have said, I probably won't need to.

PS. And yes, I know there is more than rpm..., my favorite is SMP/E, but then I've been working on mainframes for 30+ years.
Wylbur

Postby JonB » 24. January 2012 06:10

Well, turnabout is fair play, and I wasn't thinking along those lines -- as you already had the software installed :oops: my bad...

It appears we are both as old as dirt and closely experienced. I just gave up the mainframe world some time ago... :wink:

So good luck with XAMPP/LAMPP. It does have some tricky parts; but as a local development tool, its easy to work with.

The 'backup' option is particularly nice.

Good night, Wylbur.

8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Linux