Configure FileZilla

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Configure FileZilla

Postby mitchell65 » 17. January 2012 18:17

I've got FileZilla up and running but the images in the instructions under "Tools" bear no resemblance to the actual interface.
mitchell65

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit

Re: Configure FileZilla

Postby Sharley » 18. January 2012 01:05

Would you be so kind as to add your XAMPP version and Operating System to your profile as per these instructions and associated information:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48626
Thanks. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby mitchell65 » 18. January 2012 12:18

Have done, Sorry for omission!
mitchell65

Postby Sharley » 18. January 2012 12:38

Thanks for that. 8)

Sorry, could you give us more detail please as I don't quite understand your post.
I have 1.7.3 installed and I can't seem to locate a 'Tools' item in FileZilla Server.
You have stirred my curiosity. ;)

Best wishes. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby mitchell65 » 18. January 2012 13:59

The "Tools" is located in the left hand panel of the Zampp front page when you go to this http://localhost/xampp/. Just click on FileZilla FTP and scroll down to the normal FileZilla "Add new host". That's the screen I can't get to. I can't get passed the Create a User screen!
The FTP
mitchell65

Postby hackattack142 » 18. January 2012 15:03

Okay, I think you are confused as to what that page is trying to tell you. It is saying that FileZilla FTP Server comes with 2 accounts already created (anonymous and newuser). That page is giving you example instructions on how to connect to the server via an ftp client using one of the preexisting accounts (in that case, they are using WS_FTP LE client as en example and it is not included in XAMPP). You can use whichever FTP client you feel comfortable with (personally I use FileZilla FTP Client which is not included with XAMPP).

If you are looking for the proper way to edit/add users to the server, you need to use the FileZilla Server Admin Interface. To get to that interface in 1.7.3, you need to run "FileZilla Server Interface.exe" in "/xampp/FileZillaFTP", login using the default information, and you can use the "Edit" menu to edit the various server settings.
XAMPP Control Panel Developer
Latest CP: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932
hackattack142

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

Postby mitchell65 » 18. January 2012 17:52

Thanks for the response. I think we are both confused.
I have taken your advic to use the File Zilla Client which I already use on other accounts. My point is the Images of the FileZilla interface in the Front page of Xampp do not match the actual interface of FileZilla. See here:
http://www.jmwebsites.co.uk/FileZilla3.PNG
This is what I see and you will see it is not the same as in the front page of Xampp under Tools File Zilla. So the example entries shown do not make sense. The upshot is i can't connect via FTP.
Have just noticed that in that same front page under tools FileZilla it reads
Quote:Into the main directory of xampp, start "filezilla_setup.bat" for setup. But there is no filezilla_setup.bat file in the Directory. I have just done a full search and there is no such file in the Xampp directory anywhere! So prhaps this is the real problem. The system cannot work without the necessary files.
mitchell65

Postby hackattack142 » 18. January 2012 19:45

I understand your problem and I will explain it in a more concise way.

The screen shot you are referring to *is not* part of filezilla server or any part of XAMPP. It is a separate FTP client called WS_FTP LE and it is just showing an example of using an FTP client to connect to the filezilla server. FileZilla FTP Client will work just fine so you can ignore that screenshot.

You should not have to use the batch files to control FileZilla and there is no such file called 'filezilla_setup.bat', there is only 'filezilla_start.bat' and 'filezilla_stop.bat'. Open the Control Panel (xampp-control.exe) and hit the 'start' button by FileZilla. Once it is running, you can hit the 'admin' button to open the FileZilla Server Control Interface. That interface will allow you to add/edit users or change any server settings.

To connect to the server, after you have hit the 'start' button by FileZilla in the control panel and it says 'running' in green, you should be able to open FileZilla FTP Client, put 'localhost' in as the host, 'newuser' in as the username, and 'wampp' in as the password, hit connect and it should work. You can also test with the anonymous user.

The instructions on the Tools page could be worded better and appear to be very outdated and unmaintained.
XAMPP Control Panel Developer
Latest CP: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932
hackattack142

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

Postby mitchell65 » 19. January 2012 11:10

That's exactly what I have been looking for. Worked perfectly. So all the jargon on the front page of Xampp is wrong? You would think someone would have noticed that before! To put a file name in with instructions to run it and the file doesn't even exist seems a bit slack to me. Anyway I now know what to advise others. I am writing a beginners guide to installing Xampp for Joomla so your reply was very, very helpful
Thanks again!
JM
mitchell65

Return to XAMPP for Windows