Upgrade from XAMPP 1.7.3 to XAMPP 1.7.7

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Upgrade from XAMPP 1.7.3 to XAMPP 1.7.7

Postby dormston » 10. January 2012 11:53

Hi

Is there an easy way to upgrade from XAMPP 1.7.3 to XAMPP 1.7.7? Or do I have to uninstall my existing installation and start again?
dormston

Re: Upgrade from XAMPP 1.7.3 to XAMPP 1.7.7

Postby WilliL » 10. January 2012 16:06

you can install XAMPP 1.7.7 into another folder like /xampp177. Than You can check your system if it works right.
it works fine for me (Attention: in this case you can't use xampp applications as service and have attention which control pannel is started.
Willi
WilliL

Operating System: Win7Home Prem 64 SP1

Postby dormston » 11. January 2012 11:00

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try.

One other question. I installed v.1.7.3 using the installer. If I do as you suggest and then when everything's working ok with v.1.7.7 I uninstall v.1.7.3 will that uninstall elements of v.1.7.7 and then break it?!
dormston

Postby Sharley » 11. January 2012 12:55

Here are some instructions that may help uninstall then install using a different simpler method, which is my preferred method as the installer seem to have issues with some Windows version and is to be replaced in the next release:
viewtopic.php?p=179699#p179699

Good luck. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby dormston » 20. January 2012 13:15

Thanks for that. I've had a couple of issues installing from the zip file, but did a test install on an external drive using the installer and version 1.7.7. All went well.

If I want to do this for real now, I'd rather have my new install in the xampp directory (rather than xampp177)

What files do I need to edit in my original installation if I want to change it's folder name from xampp to xampp173 pls? I tried running the setup_xampp.bat file to change the paths, but no luck. Can I change the necessary paths manually?
dormston

Postby Sharley » 20. January 2012 13:27

dormston wrote:What files do I need to edit in my original installation if I want to change it's folder name from xampp to xampp173 pls? I tried running the setup_xampp.bat file to change the paths, but no luck. Can I change the necessary paths manually?
Make sure you have stopped all the 1.7.3 components, uninstalled any Windows services (removed the ticks in the Svc boxes) and clicked on the EXIT button in the control panel.

Next rename the 1.7.3 version xampp folder to xampp173 then run the xampp_setup.bat file found in the now xampp173 folder and answer the question about relocate xampp.

That should then do all the work for you as doing it manually would be quite time consuming not to say difficult.

You should now be able to have 1.7.7 version in it's own xampp folder.

Best wishes. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby dormston » 20. January 2012 16:43

Thanks for that (and for your quick replies and patience!). I think I may have deleted the original Install folder so setup_xampp.bat is struggling to work. Almost not worth trying to address that now as I wish to upgrade to v. 1.7.7. I also don't see an Uninstall.exe file, so maybe I installed 1.7.3 from the zip file.

I've got it loaded on an SD card (not a usb stick) but don't need it to be portable.

Can you please confirm that the data I need to make sure I have a backup of is all the data in my htdocs folder and the 'Data' folder in mySql. I'm basically using it as a testing server for PHP/MySql.
dormston

Postby Sharley » 21. January 2012 00:57

dormston wrote:I think I may have deleted the original Install folder so setup_xampp.bat is struggling to work.
Yes if the install folder is missing then so are the files that setup_xampp.bat file requires and the lesson here is do not delete files and folders unless you know what these files and folder are doing there in the first place - a point also worth mentioning there are many (hundreds) zero length files in XAMPP that are required and should not be deleted manually or by a cleanup utility.

dormston wrote:I've got it loaded on an SD card (not a usb stick) but don't need it to be portable.
The only difference here is that if you require it portable then no need to run the setup_xampp.bat file but if on a fixed drive then XAMPP should be in the root of the drive like C:\ or D:\ etc. so you end up with C:\xampp or D:\xampp etc. and it should work correctly on any storage media.

dormston wrote:Can you please confirm that the data I need to make sure I have a backup of is all the data in my htdocs folder and the 'Data' folder in mySql. I'm basically using it as a testing server for PHP/MySql.
Only backup your own files and folders in the htdocs folder not the xampp folder as this is included in the 1.7.7 version and will be different.

Likewise in the mysql\data folder, do not backup the MySQL and phpMyAdmin system databases as they are very much version reliant and if you overwrite these databases in your 1.7.7 version then there will be version issues that will cause all sorts of other issues.

Best to install 1.7.7 and make sure it is working by testing the demos in the Admin page and then look for identical databases in the data folder and skip the duplicate folders, this way you can be certain not to overwrite the wrong databases.

The database to avoid are cdcol - mysql - phpmyadmin - test and any files you find like the log files and err files but there may be others as I have listed only those in a default 1.7.3 installation - simply backup or copy your own databases which will be named folders of your own created databases.

Be aware that your own backed up databases may have issues with the MySQL version in 1.7.7 and if so then there is a method to upgrade your databases by running mysql_upgrade.exe in the \xampp\mysql\bin folder whilst MySQL is running and after you have copied over your own named databases, it will search the databases and correct any issues that it finds.

Good luck and please let us know how this all pans out in the end or if you stumble on more issues. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby gwmbox » 01. February 2012 01:31

What happens if you install 1.7.7 over the 1.7.3 installation? I.e. select the installer to install in the same folder as the 1.7.3. I will of course backup first.

Thanks

GW
gwmbox

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Postby Sharley » 01. February 2012 01:43

It will fail because there is no facility in the installer to overwrite existing files, so you end up with files that will not be compatible with the VC9 compiled 1.7.7 version.

1.7.3 is compiled using VC6 and 1.7.7 uses VC9 and so requires a new fresh installation.

But as always if you make a backup copy of your 1.7.3 xampp folder then you can experiment and see how your theory performs. ;)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows