path issues cause serious troubles within the system

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

path issues cause serious troubles within the system

Postby unleash » 04. January 2012 01:01

hello dear xampp-friends,

well last weekend i set up a LAMPP-System on my linux system. . to be frank it is a lampp and no xampp.

Well the lampp includes the Apache 2.2, a MySQL-Server, PHP 5.3x and phpMyadmin. I Well the LAMP is allready up and running. I also have installed a CMS - a joomla Version 1.7.3 - the installaton went smoothly and was no problem at all.

But afterwards i wanted to install some extensions and templates. Note this is the critical point in each installation of Joomla. Now the system needs to get the files via a FTP-process.

And believe it or not - this fails every time i try it! i get the error - cant move the files
Well i guess that this might have to do with the Apache / or the whole Lampp-System. What do you think!!?

Perhaps this is an issue of permissions!? See the folder where i installed the joomla!

mkdir /srv/www/basic

Well the installation of the joomla 1.7.3 went nice - and was installing smoothly - true vanilla.

srv/www/htdocs/basic

BTW see the paths

Code: Select all
public $unicodeslugs = '0';
    public $feed_limit = '10';
    public $log_path = '/srv/www/htdocs/basic/logs';
    public $tmp_path = '/srv/www/htdocs/basic/tmp';
    public $lifetime = '15';
    public $session_handler = 'database';
}

well the issue that arises - when i try to install some extensions i got the error - can t move files!

Well i am a bit unsure where this issue has its origin. What causes this error!?

look forward to hear from you!

unleahs
unleash

Operating System: OpenSuse Linux 12.1

Re: path issues cause serious troubles within the system

Postby JonB » 04. January 2012 01:13

srv/www/htdocs/basic

What relationship does that path have with the lampp ServerRoot or DocumentRoot???

:shock:
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby unleash » 04. January 2012 13:23

Hi, JonB

well many many thanks for the quick answer and the hints. Guess that you are right!

Well - since this is not a xampp but a lampp (/based on opensuse-linux version 11.4) i can imagine that i have a permission error.

Well what about this: i think that in openSUSE, when we install a LAMP solution, usually we run the server in this folder : ~/username/public_html.
Since i ve installed the LAMP in srv/www, those folders belong to root. So we should change the ownership of those folders like that in terminal :

su -
password
our_hostname:/home/the_user_to_give_ownership # chown -R the_user_to_give_ownership:users /srv/www

What do you think about this!? I love to hear from you

greetings unleash
unleash

Postby JonB » 04. January 2012 14:56

A - LAMPP and XAMPP are the same project. They had different names by OS at one point, that is no longer true.

B. - LAMPP is not a 'LAMP' in any sense, the only thing they have in common is some letters based on the packages that are included. LAMPP is a bash script that is not installed as standard Linux components would be. You should open it and read it. The file is /opt/lampp/lampp.

C. - Since LAMPP (without vhosts or changes to httpd.conf) will only support a DocumentRoot in /opt/lampp/htdocs, I would say you are in LALA land, on all that other stuff. What you do or where it is or 'would be' with a LAMP stack or in this distribution or that, have no bearing on a LAMPP installation.

C. - Permissions - LAMPP files need to belong to nobody:root

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby unleash » 04. January 2012 16:01

hello dear johnB

again me - and a big big sorry for answering again - i am pretty new to Lamp /p and therefore i apologize for all kind of newbie-questions.

many many thanks for the correction -all your input is a valuable asset of apache/ lamp/knowledge! Great to read this.
especially interesting is point c and d

well this is very very important:
C. - Permissions - LAMPP files need to belong to nobody:root

Hmm - well i have think i have to make some corrections!

linux-vi17:/srv # ls -l
insgesamt 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root   root  4096 18. Feb 2011  ftp
drwxrwxrwx 7 martin users 4096  3. Jan 14:50 www
linux-vi17:/srv #

Well according to some work that does not cause errors i thought theat i have some kind of - let me say identical user on
a. ftp - folder
b. www.-folder

well with regard on this - schould i change this recoursively to

a. the root
b. the user martin

with full access rights to do all .-...
By the way .- we see interesting things.

i have the ftp and the www-folder that is used by different users.
well that must lead to terrible misbehaviour - does nt it?

i guess that this only can cause chaos at the highest level?!

what do you sugest here!?
i can imagine that it would be great to unify the both -

either to make
a. martin as the owner of the ftp or
b. root make the owner of the www

am i wrong here!?

love to hear from you

greetings
unleash :)
unleash

Postby JonB » 04. January 2012 20:43

You want to do what you want to do - so do it, what do you want from me?

LAMPP is NOT a LAMP stack, nor was it meant to be one. Its a 'plug-in-and-play' server suite.

LAMPP (like XAMPP) is designed to work 'as is'. I suggest you resolve the issues by reading through the /opt/lampp/lampp file. Its a bash script that is copiously commented. You ask about why is this and why is that? Because it is designed to work as is. That's why 'nobody' is the FTP user. If you don't follow the LAMPP conventions, then its 'your baby'.

I have to ask what is the point of installing LAMPP if you want to make it into a LAMP-LIKE installation???? I just don't get it.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby unleash » 05. January 2012 00:49

hello - many many thanks for the answer!

now i understand - it is clear!!! You cleared up my mind. Sorry for being the newbie.

i am very very happy bout your answer. You helped me alot.

many many greetings unleash :D
unleash

Return to XAMPP for Linux