XAMPP MySQL and Stand Alone MySQL conflicting [SOLVED]

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP MySQL and Stand Alone MySQL conflicting [SOLVED]

Postby RoboticSexyTime » 30. December 2011 02:35

Hi there,

I am working my way through my first ever PHP and MySql project and I have hit a wall.

I installed MySql separately and then later I also installed Xampp. When I try to use MySql with command prompt (just to work through some tutorials I am doing) I can create and modify databases no problem - great! However, these databases are not available to me through Xampp and thus I cannot query them with PHP. I believe the problem is that I have two MySql's on my machine - one stand a lone one, and one installed with Xampp. When I use command prompt to mess around with MySql, I am using the stand-alone installation. When I try to use php to query the database, it is looking at the MySql installed with Xampp and apache etc.

That is my understanding, which may be woefully incorrect. Can someone help me out? I want to be able to use command prompt with MySql in order to complete this tutorial and get a better understanding of what is happening but at the moment...I have hit a wall as I cannot seem to get php to talk to the 'right' MySql or database location or whatever. How do I get at the 'other' mysql with command prompt?

Thanks so much for listening to this noob and his (probably) ridiculous and hilarious stumbling around in the dark!
RoboticSexyTime

Operating System: Win7 32

Re: Extreme MySql Noob Requesting Help

Postby Sharley » 30. December 2011 04:03

There are 2 my.ini files in play and there will always be a conflict with having 2 instances of MySQL.
(Why would you need 2 instances of MySQL)

Try uninstalling the stand alone version of MySQL you can then use the MySQL in XAMPP at the command prompt if you wish.

When you have uninstalled the stand alone version of MySQL do a file search and make sure that you only have one my.ini file, the one found in the \xampp\mysql\bin folder, delete any more you may come across - often a stand alone MySQL will put the my.ini file in the system path folder, C:\Windows for example.

If you use the XCPv3 (xampp-control-3-beta.exe) found in the xampp folder you will see an XAMPP-Shell button which will allow you to use the command prompt with the MySQL version in XAMPP with ease.

New users can find self help by reading these:
readme_en.txt file in the xampp folder.
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/faq-xampp-windows.html

Some useful reading that may help you help us to find suitable solutions:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48331
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32670
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby RoboticSexyTime » 30. December 2011 05:40

Sharley, that makes perfect sense. Thank you so much for your help. I will try it out later.

I installed two versions because I am a massive noob and wrongly thought at first that all I needed was MySql installed...starting the learning curve that lead to xampp and the second installation of MySql.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.
RoboticSexyTime

Operating System: Win7 32

Postby Sharley » 30. December 2011 08:33

You're welcome.

Just to add that the latest XCPv3 (control Panel) can be downloaded from the link in my signature.

Simply extract all the files into the xampp installation folder overwriting when asked.

Right click on the exe file and run it as an administrator and to create a shortcut so you can put it in a handy place like your desktop for example.

The latest version has been refined with more stability, better log window details and great features.
Enjoy. 8)

I will close this now and change the topic title to help with better forum searching.
So if you have other issues please feel free to start a new topic.

Good luck. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Return to XAMPP for Windows