Apache unable to initialize

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache unable to initialize

Postby Star114* » 19. December 2011 23:00

I am very new at this and I don't have access to an IT. I am trying to install Moodle (any version between 1.9.15 and 2.2). I am using XAMPP 1.7.3 and am having difficulty getting Apache to start. The prompt I receive is: [Mon Dec 19 16:38:30 2011] [error] Unable to initialize TLS servername extension callback (incompatible OpenSSL version?).

I don't know where to look or what to look for.

Whatever help you can offer will mean a lot.

Thanks.
Star114*

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5.8

Re: Apache unable to initialize

Postby JonB » 22. December 2011 16:00

Hi

If you Google your error "Unable to initialize TLS servername extension callback (incompatible OpenSSL version?"
you will find this is indicator that an incompatible version is being called (means it did not come from the same Apache compilation)
(little pile of stones that means therefore)
After XAMPP/MAMPP was installed, newer configuration options were added (probably in the effort to get Moodle running).

Did you install and test XAMPP all by itself first???? If so, 'did it work correctly' - (did you get the XAMPP Welcome page and sample applications)

Good Luck & Happy Holidays
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby Star114* » 26. December 2011 15:10

Thank you for writing back, Jon! "...newer configuration options were added (probably in the effort to get Moodle running)" sounds about right. I got the XAMPP package from the Moodle sight. I can start it and the control panel will open. MySQL and FTP will start up but Apache is the one that gives the "Apache did not start!" prompt.

I took your advice, Goggled the error message, and found a discussion that was too far beyond me at this point. Hopefully someday...

"(did you get the XAMPP Welcome page and sample applications)" No I did not get a Welcome page or applications. This sounds different than what comes in the Moodle package.

Is there a way I can trash everything on my computer and start all over again with a completely clean install so there aren't any residuals hiding to cause trouble later? I've tried trashing everything I could find, but, obviously, I missed something.

Happy New Year!
Star114*

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5.8

Postby JonB » 27. December 2011 19:27

OK Star -

I have 'grokked' what I can of Moodle's wiki and instructions -

Generally it appears you need to download and Install XAMPP for Mac 1.7.3 first and get it working - (by itself) to the point you can Start Apache and MySQL.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-macosx.html

THEN you need the current stable release of Moodle 2.2+ - (its another Mac Program installer - .dmg file)

http://download.moodle.org/macosx/

I have to agree it (the how-to part) leaves much to be desired. It's so broadly vague, you may as well say "Good F****in' Luck" (as you will be needing it). There is, however, a spot for posting your Q&A's

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=28

As its impossible to know 'how far' you proceeded - so I cannot say 'here's how to uninstall' all you have done so far. Suffice to say you should 'un-install anything doen so far'.

These are two separate packages - XAMPP is the Apache Webserver, PHP and MySQL server that will 'power' Moodle. Moodle itself is a CMS (Content Management System) built for coursework development. So (like WordPress, Drupal or Joomla) it 'sits on top of' the XAMPP installtion -

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Return to XAMPP for macOS