XAMPP: Only opens the door for me (Windows 7)

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP: Only opens the door for me (Windows 7)

Postby B00mX0r » 17. December 2011 08:38

So, I used to have a Windows 2008 VPS. I got Xampp to work on that and it was awesome. Now, however, I have a Windows 7 and I set up Xampp 1.7.7 on it.
What happens is I can access Xampp fine from localhost and all that works, but when I try accessing it from my IP itself (which'll allow other computers to get to my webserver), it says The remote resource is not responding (in troubleshooting after the page gives an error while trying to load the page thing).
This error comes up on other computers and my own. Disabling my firewall fixed this for my 2008 web-server VPS, but disabling my firewall doesn't fix anything for my Windows 7.
Basically, what exactly do I do to fix this? I'm just confused about why localhost works but the IP itself doesn't. I get absolutely no errors from Apache or MySQL or ANYTHING abnormal when I start up xampp and go to localhost or 127.0.0.1, so I'm blank about what's going on here.

P.S. Yes, XAMPP is simply at C:\ .
B00mX0r

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: XAMPP: Only opens the door for me (Windows 7)

Postby Sharley » 17. December 2011 08:41

Which IP are you talking about, your LAN IP or WAN IP?
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby B00mX0r » 17. December 2011 08:45

Sharley wrote:Which IP are you talking about, your LAN IP or WAN IP?

WAN IP of course, since it's the one that's public.
B00mX0r

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby Sharley » 17. December 2011 08:49

WAN IP of course, since it's the one that's public.
Well of course you can't access using your WAN IP because you have not configured the NAT loopback, if your router is capable, but if others on the Internet know your WAN IP then they will be able to access.

Of course this subject has been well and truly covered in these forums many times before as a search would have revealed, see the links below to 'how to post' and 'how to search' forum announcements.

And of course you can test your XAMPP from the Internet by using a proxy.

Of course you could even use a service like no-ip or dyndns, for example, to give public access to your XAMPP servers.

BTW XAMPP is not recommended for public access from the Internet as it has many security issues that are designed to allow developers little hindrance from using it at localhost. level.

Some useful reading for new forum members that may help you to find suitable solutions:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48331
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32670

I will close this topic now as router issues are, of course, off topic and as you pointed out, your XAMPP installation is working perfectly.

Good luck. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Return to XAMPP for Windows