Tomcat only starts manually (Win7 64) 1.7.7

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Tomcat only starts manually (Win7 64) 1.7.7

Postby aliens » 11. December 2011 15:59

Hey,

Here's the issue: Apache and MySQL start with no problems, Tomcat doesn't start at all. I tried starting catalina_start.bat by double clicking it, it gives me the key not found error. However I double checked (and reinstalled) the JDK (7u1 x64) and the key is there. The only way it starts is by opening a cmd, navigating to the xampp folder and starting catalina_start.bat.

So basically, it doesn't work if I try to start it from the control panel or by double clicking the start bat file, but it does work if I open the start bat file from a cmd prompt.

Any ideas?

Cheers

EDIT: Here are some screens

Double clicking the .bat:

Opening the .bat from cmd:
aliens

Operating System: Windows 7 x64

Re: Tomcat only starts manually (Win7 x64, XAMPP 1.7.7)

Postby JonB » 11. December 2011 16:22

Yes - two ideas actually

1. - try using the 'search this forum feature'

2. - read this topic -
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=49172

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Re: Tomcat only starts manually (Win7 x64, XAMPP 1.7.7)

Postby aliens » 11. December 2011 17:27

Hey JonB,

I have searched the forums (and Google for that matter) but I haven't found something related to my problem. The topic you linked refers more to starting Tomcat as a service.

As you can see from my issue, this pertains more to "reg query" that doesn't seem to work when I double click the batch file, but does seem to work when I execute it from cmd.exe.

Also, I have tested it the batch files that come with CP V3.0.11, and it does seem to work (even with the default control panel), so it seems the issue is localized around that reg query command.
aliens

Operating System: Windows 7 x64

Re: Tomcat only starts manually (Win7 64) 1.7.7

Postby Sharley » 12. December 2011 00:29

Perhaps you can do a screen cap of what you see in the latest XCPv3 when you have clicked on Start Tomcat and nothing else.

Also you could paste the relevant entries from the XCPv3 log file in the xampp folder.

The above will contain some relevant troubleshooting information.

When you downloaded the latest XCPv3 did you extract and overwrite all files contained in the archive?

Using the XCPv3 to Start/Stop and install Windows Services for all XAMPP components is recommended and the best practice method.

Once Tomcat has started and showing green in the XCPv3 then you have available the Admin page to test the Tomcat installation and the Config button to view the configurations - then Tomcat is ready for use.

In the top Config button of XCPv3 you have available many useful settings including selecting to provide debug info in the log window and of course in the log file created in the xampp folder.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Return to XAMPP for Windows