LocalHost Browser issues (Win 7 64) 1.7.7 [SOLVED]

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

LocalHost Browser issues (Win 7 64) 1.7.7 [SOLVED]

Postby wolfenr » 30. November 2011 15:20

Hi and hope someone can help.

Firstly XAMPP is all installed and I can preview pages (from Dreamweaver) in IE9 just fine. However, it doesn't work for Firefox or Chrome.

What happens is that it downloads the file, opens a new tab with this temporary file e.g. file:///C:/Users/Rog/AppData/Local/Temp/contact-1.html.

What's strange is that if I try and preview a php file in Firefox, it works just fine and if I open the html file directly from Win Explorer that works fine too.

Is this a Firefox, Dreamweaver or XAMPP issue?

FYI My hosts file contains 127.0.0.1 localhost plus other 127.0.0.1 lines for adobe products.

Your help is appreciated
R

An hour or two later...
Just been checking and notice that when I look at Firefox / Tools / Options / Applications and check the default activity for HTML it is set to Save which is probably why it is saving the file and then opening up the file from cache. However, my only choices here are to set it to Always Ask or Browse. Setting it to Firefox doesn't change the problem and always ask is similar.

I notice that I don't have anything in the list for PHP which is probably why it is happy opening PHP files but, sadly, I am not able to get rid of the HTML reference.
wolfenr

Operating System: Windows 7 64bit

Re: LocalHost Browser issues

Postby Sharley » 30. November 2011 22:46

What do you see in all browsers when you type the following in the address bar?:
http://localhost/index.html
http://localhost/index.php
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby wolfenr » 01. December 2011 09:27

Thanks Shayley, pleased you're engaged as I've spotted lots of +ve comments about your feedback in other threads.

O.K. Right now in IE9 I'm getting It works! for http://localhost/index.html and Server error for http://localhost/index.php

I may have made things worse since my original post, I'm desperate to solve this so I've been trying all sorts of things to rectify it. Yesterday I was able to open up the XAMPP Admin page in IE9 and Firefox. As far as Firefox is concerned, I tried loads of suggestions I found on this site and others and eventually decided to uninstall / re-install Firefox 8, no success, and then uninstall Firefox 8 and install Firefox 4, no success. As IE9 is my default browser, Firefox now doesn't display anything, it merely prompts IE9 to open the file with the same result as above.

Today, I'll be trying to retrace my steps so that I'm back where I was yesterday as if you'd asked me the same Q yersterday I would have said 'It works' and the XAMPP Admin page (at least in IE9).

My thanks
R
wolfenr

Postby Sharley » 01. December 2011 09:45

You could try uninstalling XAMPP using these instruction and then use the zip 0r 7zip archive version instead of the installer exe version which has been known to have issues with some Windows versions:
viewtopic.php?p=179699#p179699

Good luck. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby wolfenr » 01. December 2011 09:52

O.K.

The magic of Shayley!!!
Don't know what voodoo you passed over my PC but I'm all fixed up now. I...
* Uninstalled / Re-installed XAMPP
* Uninstalled Firefox 4 and Re-installed Firefox 8
* Did a deep clean of the Registry and deleted Caches
* Booted up XAMPP and, it failed (oh dear)
* Deleted the .htaccess file and XAMPP worked fine in IE9
* Tested it in Firefox and it worked fine

I don't know where the problem lay but this might suggest that it was my .htaccess file that was causing grief.

My thanks to all for your interest and thanks to Shayley for prompting me to do the spring clean.

P.S. How ddo I mark this thread as resolved?
wolfenr

Postby Sharley » 01. December 2011 09:58

SHARLEY thanks you for the feedback. 8)

I will mark this solved now for you.

Best wishes. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows