Looking for a Tutorial for XAMPP

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Looking for a Tutorial for XAMPP

Postby Shadowing » 25. November 2011 06:31

I'm seeking some massive help. I just got XAMPP up in running and im just really lost and confused. My level of website building knowledge is zero.
I did PHP tutorials to learn some PHP but its not really teaching me what I want to learn.
All the Tutorials show me how to make one page PHP/html web pages locally.

I need a tutorial that is showing me steps on how to make a multipage website on my local host. So i can slowly grasp my way around this program. Like a real simple website that is using the data base. Been looking hard on google cant find a site that is teaching this.

so anyone know some tutorials for major massive noobs that also excels into using XAMPP decently? Cause i cant make heads or tales out of the phpmyadmin section

I appreciate any help

thanks
Shadowing

Operating System: Windows xp pro

Re: Looking for a Tutorial for XAMPP

Postby Sharley » 25. November 2011 06:54

XAMPP is a suit of components that will help you when you have created a web site.

When you have created your web site you put it in the htdocs folder to be able to see it using a web browser.

XAMPP is not therefore a suit of components that could possibly help or teach you how to create a web site.

You could start by learning how to install ready made web sites in to XAMPP like WordPress or Joomla, to name but a couple, as there are many available, some simple some complicated.
There are forums and installation instruction to provide you with the help you need.

There are WYSIWYG web site creation tools that may also help you get started creating a web site and Google will show you many that are available.

When you have done that, then you may be able to see how complex an issue it is creating a web site from scratch - well beyond the scope of the Apache Friends forums.

Sorry there is no easy way to become a web site designer, many of us have taken years to accumulate the knowledge and most of us are still learning new techniques - so it is an ongoing learning curve.

Good luck. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby Shadowing » 25. November 2011 08:06

Yah i tried wordpress out. Im actually trying to work towards making a text base web broswer game. Well im just kinda confused on a few things i guess. Games such as astrowars or utopia-game shared. would I even use phpmyadmin for something like that?
Last edited by Sharley on 25. November 2011 08:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I have removed the links to the games as they are not XAMPP related and may be deemed to be spam.
Shadowing

Postby Sharley » 25. November 2011 08:12

If you have to create a database or manipulate a database then phpMyAdmin can be used.
phpMyAdmin is a GUI for MySQL, some use it others use a different interface.

JonB's signature has links to his web site which has a few tuts and book links that might help:
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=45803
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby Shadowing » 25. November 2011 08:36

oh i get what you are saying now. So really i need to search for some more text editors? to organize and write my scripts in? meaning I need a writing tool?
Shadowing

Postby Sharley » 25. November 2011 08:44

That would be a good start and you will learn much quicker with a code editor and one that you can easily see the results of your work - there are many to choose from and one that suits your needs.

Your long trip to writing web sites has just begun. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby Shadowing » 25. November 2011 08:54

I used to program starcraft maps. Writing triggers. which were scripts with conditions and etc. I did alot of that. creating a webpage isnt done in just one single document is it? no way people just open up notepad and write a entire website in one document right? The tools out there has to have like flow chart like organization or something like that?
Shadowing

Postby Sharley » 25. November 2011 09:08

Wrong, some people just use a notepad or a notepad++ type editor to write web sites especially after they have learnt the required languages.

Your search words in Google may be html editor or wysiwyg website editor or website editor etc.

For your needs a good WYSIWYG visual type editor may help and most will have a raw code page that you can also edit if you feel confident enough.

http://www.w3schools.com/
May also help

Not much more I can add here as it is really an off topic subject in these forums.

Good luck. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows