XAMPP 1.7.3 configuration. [SOLVED]

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP 1.7.3 configuration. [SOLVED]

Postby newto » 03. November 2011 15:17

Hi there

I have installed XAMPP 1.7.3 as this has the appropriate versions of MySQL and PHP that I need in order for my site to work on host versions.

I have literature on how to configure XAMPP 1.6.2, but obviously there are some differences so it doesnt help me.

I have however succesfully done a test for PHP which worked :D It was good to know I got it right. The resulting page showed blocks for MySQL and MySQLi, the book I have says that means that my development environment is good to go, is that right? It is an old book.

The book then goes on to say that I can configure PHP in the php.ini file, to switch off magic quotes, and to change the time zone, but I can not find php.ini. Is this necessary in 1.7.3?

To configure MySQL, the book says that I need to find mysql/bin/my.cnf in order to change the default location of the database, I can not find the my.cnf file. Is this necessary in 1.7.3?

Is there any literature available for configuring XAMPP 1.7.3? Or is XAMPP 1.7.3 ok as it is?

Out of pure curiosity, I opened the file XAMPP/htdocs/index.php It opened in Dreamweaver and said 'Something is wrong with the XAMPP installation :-(', is this a standard file for if there 'is' something wrong? Or do I need to worry about this now?

Kind regards

Newto
newto

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition SP3

Re: XAMPP 1.7.3 configuration.

Postby JonB » 03. November 2011 15:53

Out of pure curiosity, I opened the file XAMPP/htdocs/index.php It opened in Dreamweaver and said 'Something is wrong with the XAMPP installation

It opened in Dreamweaver because 'Dreamweaver' is set as the default editor for .php files on your system

And you got the message because XAMPP was not running.
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby JonB » 03. November 2011 16:07

The first thing I will do is warn everyone — In my opinion books are for learning from, not following slavishly.

http://bravo.newnetenterprises.com/word ... a-library/

If you are going to do development work, you will need to take the initiative on many things. That would include exploring the environment,

these are your answers:

C:\xampp\php\php.ini

C:\xampp\mysql\bin\my.ini

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby newto » 04. November 2011 09:23

Ok, many thanks for that.

Newto :-)
newto

Postby newto » 20. November 2011 13:35

Hello

Unfortunately I do not find php.ini or my.ini in the places you instructed me. And, with XAMPP running, I still get the message in dereamweaver ''Something is wrong with the XAMPP installation :-( '

Regards

Newto
newto

Postby newto » 20. November 2011 14:04

Hello

I forgot to put on the last message, I only get ''Something is wrong with the XAMPP installation :-( ' when I double click on the file XAMPP/htdocs/index.php, it doesnt come up automatically.

Regards

Newto
newto

Postby Sharley » 20. November 2011 15:00

newto wrote: I only get ''Something is wrong with the XAMPP installation :-( ' when I double click on the file XAMPP/htdocs/index.php, it doesnt come up automatically.
You can't click on a php file and see the page correctly, you may see an error or just the code if php is associated with a text/code editor - you have to use a URL in your browser so that your web server Apache parses the php code correctly and displays the page as intended.

When you double click on xampp-control.exe in the xampp folder what do you see?

When you click on Start and Apache and MySQL are showing running in green in the control panel what do you now see when you type http://localhost/xampp/index.php in your browser?

Where exactly did you install XAMPP - in C:\xampp?

In the Windows Control Panel click on Folder Options then on Views
Look for and click on Show hidden files and folder
Look for and remove the tick from Hide extensions for known file types
Click OK and close the Control Panel.

Now you should be able to see the see the php.ini and my.ini files if you installed XAMPP in the C:\xampp folder.

New users can find self help by reading these first:
readme_en.txt file in the xampp folder.
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/faq-xampp-windows.html
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby newto » 23. November 2011 19:27

Hi Sharley

Thank you for your reply. I am away for a few days, but I will do what you have advised when I get back. One question I can answer is that I have installed XAMPP in C:\xampp.

Will write to you again when I get home and do what you have advised. Thankyou Sharley.

Kind regards

Newto :-)
newto

Postby newto » 30. November 2011 12:38

Hi Sharley

Home sweet home.

I have installed XAMPP in C:\xampp.

When I click on xampp-control.exe I get an error message saying 'Control panel is already running', which it was.

When the control panel is running, with both Apache and MySQL showing running in green, I entered http://localhost/xampp/index.php into my browser, and I saw the welcome screen with the orange column down the left side, and a welcome message saying 'XAMPP 1.7.3!

Congratulations:
You have successfully installed XAMPP on this system!

I followed your instructions and removed the tick from 'Hide extensions for known file types', I can now see php.ini and mysql.ini

I also clicked on xampp-htdocs-index.html and my browser opened with a page that said 'It works!'

I take it that this all means it is working ok and I can get to work?

I sometimes do work on my girlfriends computer, I have installed xampp on her computer too, how do I get my work, (mysql files and php files), from my xampp on to a memory stick to transfer them to my girlfriends computer please?

Kind regards

Newto
newto

Postby Sharley » 29. December 2011 07:01

newto wrote:I sometimes do work on my girlfriends computer, I have installed xampp on her computer too, how do I get my work, (mysql files and php files), from my xampp on to a memory stick to transfer them to my girlfriends computer please?
Only one issue per topic will be answered, please read:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48331

Also good reading for new users:
New users can find self help by reading these first:
readme_en.txt file in the xampp folder.
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/faq-xampp-windows.html

Some useful reading that may help you help us to find suitable solutions:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32670

Sorry, I do not answer individual issues by PM - post then in the forum.

I will close this topic and mark it solved.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Return to XAMPP for Windows