Apache won't start SSL Cert Issue (Win 7) 1.7.7 [SOLVED]

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache won't start SSL Cert Issue (Win 7) 1.7.7 [SOLVED]

Postby quiksilver » 09. November 2011 03:09

So I decided to run makecert.bat out of curiousity, and once everything was made and generated, I was able to start Apache just fine, but after I stopped it and tried starting it again, it wouldn't start.
I noticed in Event Viewer that this keeps showing up:
Code: Select all
The Apache service named  reported the following error:
>>> SSLCertificateFile: file 'C:/xampp/apache/conf/ssl.crt/server.crt' does not exist or is empty     .

And sure enough, server.crt is empty.
Is there anyway I can just undo or get rid of all of the stuff makecert.bat did, and have everything go back to running fine without having to uninstall Apache? And if I really need to uninstall Apache, will I still have all of my website files in my htdocs folder?
quiksilver

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Apache won't start

Postby Sharley » 09. November 2011 03:22

No need to take drastic measures just yet.

Download the zip or 7zip version and copy the server.crt or any other file you need from the archive to it's corresponding location in your installed XAMPP folders.

Also a good idea when you get server errors is to read the \xampp\apache\logs\error.log file for clues.

Good luck. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Re: Apache won't start

Postby quiksilver » 10. November 2011 05:19

Sharley wrote:No need to take drastic measures just yet.

Download the zip or 7zip version and copy the server.crt or any other file you need from the archive to it's corresponding location in your installed XAMPP folders.

Also a good idea when you get server errors is to read the \xampp\apache\logs\error.log file for clues.

Good luck. :)

Thank you very much! I originally tried commenting out the line to include the httpd-ssl-conf file, but this works much better! :D I'll try and find a way to make a certificate and such without not being able to start up Apache this time =p
quiksilver

Operating System: Windows 7

Return to XAMPP for Windows