sendmail issue - simply help plz

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

sendmail issue - simply help plz

Postby its me » 23. October 2011 05:02

Hello guys
i have really simple question guys
i have searched a lot, here and other places but i need exact answer for this, because seems i am in the wrong direction and your help will make be on the right direction to bring further...
using xampp 1.7.7 and windows server 2008 R2 - all going well overall
when tried to use the sendmail function it didn't send anything.... even i did uncomment the sndmail path in php.ini

all my impression is that sendmail php function does NOT require any smtp server to be installed on the server, i am not sure of this, as @linux server on the web it is not obviously using smtp server (mail server)
so my question does this require smtp server to be installed on the windows server? do i have use mercury or not... becasue it will be used for couple of notifications and i don't want to go through mail server installation if this function doesn't require smtp server to installed....... just please let me know:
- if this doesn't require mail server in general: then i have to go deeper in sendmail issue and see what it doesn't work
- if this is required by as mandatory... then to know that i am in wrong direction and start focusing on a version of hMail install of this crap mercury...

I'm yet reading since 3 days but this question is not clear 4me, everybody speaks about sndmail issues and smtp but nobody mentioned if this does require smtp server to be installed or no need? .... in the fake sndmail.ini there is smtp settings, so i think it require this in windows for sure huh? hmmmm? mybe in linux also but it takes it automatically to smtp server???

i will be waiting your information...
Mike
its me

Operating System: Windows server 2008 SP1 R2

Re: sendmail issue - simply help plz

Postby Sharley » 23. October 2011 05:15

Read these forum search results

These are from those results:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48627
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48538

Also make sure that your ISP is not blocking sending email from port 25 or if they use another SMTP port.

The settings in the sendmail.ini file are close to those ISP settings you use in your Windows email client.

Sendmail is simply an email client for sending emails just like your Windows email client and in those search results are all the clues you need for how to use the settings in php.ini and sendmail.ini files.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby its me » 23. October 2011 05:25

Shearley, I beg u to focus my friend, i read all that and more here on xampp forums and all over the internet,
leave sendmail problems for a moment and check this:
by default, if xampp is working perfect - or any other package on Windows platform, or stand alone apache installation...etc, does sendmail require an smtp server to be installed on the server or this is not needed by default? for linux also, is it taking default from somewhere or it is not needed to have mail server installed at all? just a script can send the email somehow using magic for example??? this is what i need to know... because i don't have mail server installed at all, and mercury is disabled (which comes with xampp) so my question is simple, is this function which sends email via script is mandatory-require mail server to be available and activated or no need?? (like hmail or mercury)

and yeah, 25 port is ok, also this will be used for notification one php application in intranet envrionement from server to clients.. so there is no issues with port 25
its me

Postby Sharley » 23. October 2011 05:32

You don't need an email server, sendmail will do what you need and it is you that needs to focus and read what is posted in the search results, that I have not seen you do yet and my post above surely would have answered this spurious question. :shock:

Your topic is based on sendmail and so are my replies.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby its me » 23. October 2011 05:39

fine! i will keep trying with sendmail issue first before installing the smtp server,
so so why sendmail is asking if your smtp server require authoticiation? what smtp sendmail means? if server is not require, then where to get this inforamtion from? interesting question huh!?
its me

Postby xnoddyx » 23. October 2011 15:04

its me wrote: i did uncomment the sndmail path in php.ini

all my impression is that sendmail php function does NOT require any smtp server to be installed on the server, i am not sure of this, as @linux server on the web it is not obviously using smtp server (mail server)
so my question does this require smtp server to be installed on the windows server? do i have use mercury or not... becasue it will be used for couple of notifications and i don't want to go through mail server installation if this function doesn't require smtp server to installed....... just please let me know:
- if this doesn't require mail server in general: then i have to go deeper in sendmail issue and see what it doesn't work
- if this is required by as mandatory... then to know that i am in wrong direction and start focusing on a version of hMail install of this crap mercury...

I'm yet reading since 3 days but this question is not clear 4me, everybody speaks about sndmail issues and smtp but nobody mentioned if this does require smtp server to be installed or no need? .... in the fake sndmail.ini there is smtp settings, so i think it require this in windows for sure huh? hmmmm? mybe in linux also but it takes it automatically to smtp server???

i will be waiting your information...
Mike

hi in php.ini you say
i did uncomment the sndmail path in php.ini

it will then look like
Code: Select all
; For Unix only.  You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail -t -i").
; http://php.net/sendmail-path
sendmail_path = "\"C:\xampp\sendmail\sendmail.exe\" -t"

then you need to goto "C:\xampp\sendmail\" and find sendmail.ini
in here will look like
# Example for a user configuration file

# Set default values for all following accounts.
defaults
logfile "C:\xampp\sendmail\sendmail.log"

# Mercury
account Mercury
host localhost
from postmaster@localhost
auth off

# freemail
account Hotmail
tls on
tls_certcheck off
host smtp.Hotmail.com
from test@Hotmail.com
auth on
user test@Hotmail.com
password **********

# Set a default account
account default : Hotmail

then edit
host smtp.Hotmail.com to what your smtp mail sender is i.e smtp.Hotmail.com or smtp.gmail.com
from test@Hotmail.com to what your smtp mail sender is i.e test@Hotmail.com or test@gmail.com
user test@Hotmail.com to what your smtp mail sender is i.e test@Hotmail.com or test@gmail.com
password ********** and what your password is

and thats it after you reset XAMPP for it to reload php.ini
xnoddyx

Operating System: xp pro sp3

Postby its me » 23. October 2011 15:25

dears.... thanks for your reply as well,
this is for sharley also,,

i have been trying for 3 days now, and i think i am missing the concept itself,
let me clear out something
this server is located at closed windows network, lets say bigdomain.com (there is already an email server -exchange) in bgdomain.com, we don't want this)
this server is called smallserver.bigdomain.com
now there is proxy anyway on bigdomain.com, i am uisng my windows login @bigdomain.com to authinticate and browse... that is not an issue... and i do not want to send to outside, all the purpose is to make scripts on smallserver.bigdomain.com (using xampp) to send notification emails to bigdomain.com mail user.... thats it..
previously few months back, i was lucky installing hmail server with horde and could send from smallserver to bigdomain mail addres using web access... but now with xampp doesn't work this sendmail thing nor hmail server new version (i coudn't install the roundbue on it yet)

now as Sharley outlined that i don't need smtp server isntalled, i deactivated hmail server, all my assumption now is that i don't need any mail server to send mail via php scripts to mail user @bigdomian.com...............
but? if i dont' need stmp server installed on the server so what is these configruation for? i mean these all u posting in the messages here? what is it for?

ok let me tell u what i have tried:
my php ini is like this
sendmail_from = localhost
sendmail_path = "\"C:\xampp\sendmail\sendmail.exe\" -t"

and my sendmail.ini looks like this: (after many changes and tries)

smtp_server=smallserver.bigdomain.com // (also tried smallserver, tried localhost, tried ip address, tried to comment it out....)

; smtp port (normally 25)

smtp_port=25

; the default domain for this server will be read from the registry
; this will be appended to email addresses when one isn't provided
; if you want to override the value in the registry, uncomment and modify

;default_domain=local

; log smtp errors to error.log (defaults to same directory as sendmail.exe)
; uncomment to enable logging

error_logfile=error.log

; create debug log as debug.log (defaults to same directory as sendmail.exe)
; uncomment to enable debugging

debug_logfile=debug.log

; if your smtp server requires authentication, modify the following two lines

auth_username=info@smallserver.bigdomain.com
auth_password=password

; if your smtp server uses pop3 before smtp authentication, modify the
; following three lines

;pop3_server=
;pop3_username=
;pop3_password=

; to force the sender to always be the following email address, uncomment and
; populate with a valid email address.  this will only affect the "MAIL FROM"
; command, it won't modify the "From: " header of the message content

force_sender=info@smallserver.bigdomain.com

Note: info@smallserver.bigdomain.com i created it with hmail server, and also tried with hmail server enabled and disabled... all the same issues

then i read about sending test message to check configurations and uncommented log file to store these data:
11/10/23 17:29:08 : SMTP authentication is required.<EOL>
11/10/23 17:30:26 : Authentication failed. Restarting authentication process.<EOL>
11/10/23 17:42:19 : Authentication failed. Restarting authentication process.<EOL>
11/10/23 17:43:43 : Message is missing sender's address
11/10/23 17:45:18 : Socket Error # 10061<EOL>Connection refused.
11/10/23 17:45:43 : Socket Error # 10061<EOL>Connection refused.
11/10/23 17:48:12 : Socket Error # 10061<EOL>Connection refused.
11/10/23 17:49:09 : SMTP authentication is required.<EOL>
11/10/23 17:49:47 : Authentication failed. Restarting authentication process.<EOL>
11/10/23 17:50:09 : Authentication failed. Restarting authentication process.<EOL>
11/10/23 17:58:38 : Authentication failed. Restarting authentication process.<EOL>
11/10/23 18:01:26 : Authentication failed. Restarting authentication process.<EOL>
11/10/23 18:02:58 : Authentication failed. Restarting authentication process.<EOL>
11/10/23 18:20:19 : Authentication failed. Restarting authentication process.<EOL>

each error trying to modify something...........

in the testmail.php i put myUsername@bigdomain.com - though it is working fine this one @bigdomain.com from inside the company and from outside as well..

now again, do i need hmail server in this setup or php function will do this send mail to bigdomain.com mail user?
and if i don't need it, php function will the mail magically, then why sendmail.ini require configration information about smtp authotication?

there is defenitly something i am missing here, and starving to know it

plz help :(
Mike
its me

Postby its me » 24. October 2011 05:42

Sharely! some people writing even worse stuff !! i tried to PM u but couldn't - at least i didn't reach that bad!
however, i respect rules, could you look at my problem above and advise? if possible?
regards
its me

Postby its me » 24. October 2011 12:54

Sharley! i posted above please read it before this ok :)

now, simply, sendmail.exe (or whatever php sendmail function does) will use a real mail server to send emails correct?
I mean it is not just a page sending to a real email server > mail client directly... right?
so finally you will need either mercury, hmail, hotmail, gmail whatever configured to send to other party of the communication lets say name@domain.com in Australia (that is the most far i could reach)

is that correct?
so i will need a mail server either installed on the same server, or an account in other mail server/ either free or corporte or paid.... then sendmail fake exe will act as using that one to send an email to whoever else, correct????
its me

Postby Nobbie » 24. October 2011 14:48

its me wrote:is that correct?
so i will need a mail server either installed on the same server, or an account in other mail server/ either free or corporte or paid.... then sendmail fake exe will act as using that one to send an email to whoever else, correct????

You got it!
Nobbie

Postby its me » 24. October 2011 14:54

thanks a lot, it finally worked after long fight with hmail server
do you have any idea about how to let the mail goes from your sendmail (which defined in sendmail.ini) as name instead of complete address like name@domainname.com ???
iwant to to be like John Smith!!?? even i used normal email address created in hmail server and added the sender name to it but also keep sending only as email address if sent from sendmail.exe

thanks in advance
its me

Postby Nobbie » 24. October 2011 15:09

I dont think the (simple) fake sendmail.exe supports "extended" From Clause. Usually, if you want to send an email to someone, which appears to come from "John Smith", you have to apply

John Smith <name@domainname.com>

as sender address. You may try that, but it dont think you will succeed
Nobbie

Postby its me » 24. October 2011 15:25

i tried that first thing to change with force_sender in sendmail.ini
and tried also John Smith [name@domain.com]
it goes as empty address!! strange
even read all about rfc281 and sendmail.org website :shock:
nothing works (yet)
its me