Apache won't start port conflict (Vista) 1.7.7 [SOLVED]

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache won't start port conflict (Vista) 1.7.7 [SOLVED]

Postby FrankC » 23. October 2011 04:20

Hi,

First of all, thanks for creating XAMPP. Especially its ability to run Apache as a service and its seamless integration with my code editor (PHP rendering in the preview pane) makes it a dream to work with.

Unfortunately however, Apache won't always start as a service, for some odd reason. And when it doesn't, there is something peculiar. When I open the XAMPP control panel and click Apache Start, it says after a few seconds that the Apache service started. But still no PHP rendering in my code editor. Which is corroborated by the Windows Services window, that says that Apache is not running -- and cannot be started locally...

Any thoughts? I have v. 1.7.4 on Windows Vista Home, and Windows IIS running. And it is only about one in four bootups that Apache doesn't start as service.
Last edited by FrankC on 23. October 2011 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
FrankC

XAMPP version: 7.4
Operating System: Win 10 Pro

Re: Apache service won't start; conflicting information

Postby Sharley » 23. October 2011 04:22

Is there a conflict between Apache and IIS for port 80 and 443 use?

Any clues in the \xampp\apache\logs\error.log file?
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby FrankC » 23. October 2011 12:01

Thanks for replying, Sharley.

No clue in the error.log. The last error, of an image not existing, dates back to last Friday, and I rebooted yesterday, during which Apache didn't start as a service.

Would there be another way of finding out whether there is a port conflict? If so, how? I know little of ports; I've only checked the availability of port 80 in the past, with the help of an online service. (And I don't even remember which site...)
FrankC

Postby Sharley » 23. October 2011 12:27

Apache uses port 80 and port 443 and so does IIS.

Apache can't use port 80 and 443 if IIS has started and is listening on those ports, so Apache can't start.and the same applies in reverse, so it depends when your computer boots which starts first.

Nothing you can do about that unless you change the ports of IIS (difficult registry hack) or you change the ports in Apache.

A better solution all round is to disable IIS.

If you do not want to use IIS and why if you have XAMPP and Apache, then you can disable IIS so that Apache will always work without port conflicts.

Here is a post that will help you do this in Vista:
viewtopic.php?p=134260#p134260
You can ignore the UAC instructions (User Account Control a MS pesky PC nanny) if you wish or make a note of that entry for future reference if you need more control over your Vista.

If you want to activate the Super Admin account (full control of your Vista) then see this site:
http://www.winvistaclub.com/t12.html

Also there is this web site that also may help with disabling IIS.
how to turn off iis 7

Once you have disabled IIS, reboot, then you will not have to do anything with Apache as it should start up without issue - let me know if it does still give issues.

If you think that all this is over your head then take a deep breath and read this post and it's content a few times with the required screens open and see if it all jells for you.

Please let me know back how this pans out for your issue.

Good luck and my best wishes. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby FrankC » 23. October 2011 14:48

I didn't even need to reboot -- after disabling IIS, Apache could be started from the Windows Services window, which it couldn't before. So I expect that the problems of not starting as a service during booting will be over as well. Thanks much!

Oh, and the installation of XAMPP is a dream, too. :)
FrankC

Re: Apache won't start port conflict (Vista) 1.7.7 [SOLVED]

Postby Sharley » 23. October 2011 20:17

Thanks for the feedback. 8)

Best wishes. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows