Windows XP with XAMPP - logoff/shutdown hangs

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Windows XP with XAMPP - logoff/shutdown hangs

Postby tachyon42 » 21. October 2011 03:01

I'm new to XAMPP and would like some advice on a problem I'm experiencing when trying to logoff or shutdown Windows XP SP3.
I've searched this forum and couldn't find any mention of this problem.

When logoff or shutdown then Windows hangs and the Windows System event log shows error 1073.
The problem only occurs when the XAMPP control panel is present in the Windows task bar notification area (lower right corner of the screen near the date/time).
I've tried XAMPP versions 1.7.4 and 1.7.7 and both have the same issue.
If I close down the XAMPP control panel by clicking its Exit button then logoff or shutdown executes correctly.
If I neglect/forget to use the Exit button then it's necessary to CTRL/ALT/DELETE then CTRL/click 'Shut Down...' button or power off the computer.
Shouldn't logoff or shutdown cause the XAMPP control panel to automatically exit/terminate like every other Windows application does?
tachyon42

Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Windows XP with XAMPP - logoff/shutdown hangs

Postby hackattack142 » 21. October 2011 04:31

I am assuming you are using the XAMPP Control Panel v3 Beta (I cannot speak for the 2.5 version but it has issues of its own)? I have been playing with the control panel code quite a bit and have noticed different behaviors. One such behavior is that the control panel will refuse to exit via the 'Quit' button if either FileZilla or Tomcat are running (that is the behavior I have witnessed on Windows 7 at least). I cannot pinpoint the exact underlying cause of the blocking issue but my guess is that the exit call gets blocked by active background GUI events. I was just playing with it for a while and it appears the code used to exit the control panel is not complete. The same is true for the Windows shutdown detection code (it only detects a shutdown, it does not actually try to close the application). I have been making various unofficial enhancements/fixes to the control panel but I will not have a fix for this right away.
XAMPP Control Panel Developer
Latest CP: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932
hackattack142

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

Re: Windows XP with XAMPP - logoff/shutdown hangs

Postby hackattack142 » 22. October 2011 03:24

After playing around with it some more, I think the issues is blocking threads. I tweaked the code to force the threads to timeout if the application is being closed. Could you give this control panel a try and see if the issue is fixed? viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932
XAMPP Control Panel Developer
Latest CP: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48932
hackattack142

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit

Return to XAMPP for Windows